AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Camper Trailers and Caravans (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Car & Caravan Weight Calculations (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160494)

Chrisrw 01-04-2022 06:17 AM

Car & Caravan Weight Calculations

I’m a Newbie buying first Jeep & first Caravan.
Before we ordered the car; the Caravan manufacturer did weight calculations for us; & advised the S Limited we wanted to buy, would give us about 600kg payload for the Van & 600kg for the My21 S Limited.

But a contact has just told us these numbers are not right !

Can anyone advise who we can go to (a company etc) that can do the weights & Payloads possible calculations for us.

I found Website calculators all very confusing.:hammer:

Thank you

bjm 01-04-2022 11:34 AM

Model make of van All weights are needed incl tare weight of van , etc there will be a plate in the van with these figured,plus weight of vehicle etc

Clarky 01-04-2022 04:18 PM

Start with the weight of the van + Jeep. Combined they can only weight 6099kgs

A diesel GC S limited has about 660kg payload as it sits at the dealership

subtract the following

Your weight and the weight of your partner (if any)

The caravan ball weight (the weight pushing down on the tow ball from the caravan when connected)

The Weight of any accessories and luggage you plan to fit/carry in the Jeep (accessories includes the tow bar as its not part of Jeeps calculations).

If the Jeep is still under or at its GVM (2949kg) then the van can only weigh 3150kg's maximum.

Hoppy99 01-04-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky (Post 1682299)
Start with the weight of the van + Jeep. Combined they can only weight 6099kgs

A diesel GC S limited has about 660kg payload as it sits at the dealership

subtract the following

Your weight and the weight of your partner (if any)

The caravan ball weight (the weight pushing down on the tow ball from the caravan when connected)

The Weight of any accessories and luggage you plan to fit/carry in the Jeep (accessories includes the tow bar as its not part of Jeeps calculations).

If the Jeep is still under or at its GVM (2949kg) then the van can only weigh 3150kg's maximum.

Dont forget to add the weight of a full tank of fuel as well…

Jeep GC 04-01-2023 12:50 PM

Make a spreadsheet up to tally all the weights in the jeep and in the van. You can then swap around weights from jeep to van and back to make the weights work best for you.

A total of all the sums is auto updated on the spreadsheet as you enter data or swap from jeep to van. I have about 30kg left to play with in jeep but 200 odd in van so I know if I just swap a few things to van I'm way under for the jeep, including tow ball weight etc.

bjm 04-01-2023 01:04 PM

Just remember front and rear axle weight specs as well.Many rigs weighed in Qld last few months by the RMS and police were over!

Aussie_damo 28-06-2023 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjm (Post 1689066)
Just remember front and rear axle weight specs as well.Many rigs weighed in Qld last few months by the RMS and police were over!

where are the axle weights located? i just brought a 2018 wk2 limited and finding them is harder then pulling teeth