AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KK Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   Market value of a KK (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155532)

brucet 01-05-2019 09:01 PM

Market value of a KK

I'm looking at buying a new 4x4. Looked at a number of models on the market. Then I made the mistake of looking at KK prices. Golly gosh. KK's are worth all but nothing.
Anyone have any experience at current trade in prices for a KK?

KKnut 01-05-2019 10:53 PM

That seems to apply to any used vehicle. I have a MY2016 vehicle that originally cost $50k, it’s in beautiful condition, loaded with tech and runs on the smell of a oily rag. Yet I’m struggling to move it for close to $20k! :(

Wish I was a buyer instead, the value for money is incredible!

brucet 02-05-2019 08:02 AM

I'm looking at a Colorado. $50000.00 - $10000.00 trade. That's a $40000.00 cheque. That $40000.00 will pay for a lot of repairs on the KK.

layback40 02-05-2019 08:05 AM

& they will continue to go down. a good 2006 KJ CRD can be purchased for around $2k if you keep a look out.

KKnut 02-05-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucet (Post 1648912)
I'm looking at a Colorado. $50000.00 - $10000.00 trade. That's a $40000.00 cheque. That $40000.00 will pay for a lot of repairs on the KK.

If you really love your Jeep, have the space and are mechanically inclined then for a few $K its even worthwhile to purchase a write off for spares. I’ve heard of someone doing this to convert their petrol KK to a diesel, not sure how that effects rego but I guess that’s one way to spend your time. [emoji51]

eksjay 03-05-2019 03:52 PM

What are you looking at buying? Looking for a change, or is there a particular reason for moving on?

Given the drop in value would you consider having it as your second car? Granted, it's not cheep maintaining, registering and insuring 2 cars... Not to mention having space.

brucet 03-05-2019 08:20 PM

KKnut I'm not a mechanical sort of person. Three thumbs!! Just don't want to do it.

The thing is that it 'only' has 75000k on the clock. But I'm loosing confidence in it. No real reason. (A water pump, new brakes and battery in the last two years. Battery is 'normal' given its age). But I have this feeling about how it drives. It seems to hesitate and surge. It's making a low frequency noise which seems to be in the transmission. It has lost some of the dash lights. Nothing dramatic but I'm just getting wary. It's serviced regularly.

Pure maths says that it will cost far more to trade than to repair.

11 months ago I almost died while in the USA. (Long story). I had to sell my RAM and our travel over seas has evaporated. So I guess I'm looking for peace of mind and it's a toss up between loving the KK to death or blowing a hole in the bank account and buying something new. My preferred 4x4 would be a Colorado. (I want to carry the tent n stuff. With the KK I can't carry extra fuel inside and I don't want to hang stuff on the outside. A low garage door prevents a roof rack). I want to buy off the shelf and not to a heap of mods.

I'm procrastinating.