AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Starter Motor playing up (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151669)

Luminol 27-12-2017 11:34 PM

Starter Motor playing up

So,

We had snow last night and went it start the jeep this morning and nothing. No crank no start, just clunk. I checked all fuses and relays relating to the starter and ignition and all were good. Finally I crawled under and have it a few a taps with a hammer. It started up straight away and I drove to town. After an hr I town, it’s staryed fine again and after popping to the hardware store started fine.

Now, is the starter on the way out or do you think it could just be the cold that’s doing it?

If new one is needed, how do I work out of it’s a 9 or 11 spline starter? 1996 2.5td. Thanks guys, I’ve heard this is a pain to do so not looking forward to it. Thanks all!

layback40 28-12-2017 05:40 AM

Best thing you could do is take it out & clean all electrical connections. The heavy ones on the solenoid ~ battery lead & the one going into the starter need to undone & cleaned with wet & dry until the metal is bright & clean. If you know what you are doing, pull the starter to bits & clean it out, give the commutator a rub with wet & dry (~ 280 or finer). Clean & re-grease the reduction gears. Put it all back together & see if it runs before putting it back in.

Luminol 28-12-2017 11:52 AM

Thanks layback. Is removing really awkward?

amlav 28-12-2017 01:05 PM

Yes it is a bit of a job ...took mine to the mechanic to change it . On yours sound like the brushes are sticking or the solenoid contacts are burned .
Best thing start with the easy one : do a battery load test , check starter electrical connection for corrosion , battery terminals ...clean as required .
If all above ok than I would say it is time to change or remove and repair it.

layback40 28-12-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminol (Post 1626685)
Thanks layback. Is removing really awkward?

The first couple of times are horrible. The heat shields are sharp edged & if not respected will cost you a few stitches. One of the 3 flange bolts is near impossible, Undoing the LCA makes it a bit easier. I did a write up a few years ago. Now after doing it too many times its about a 1hr job. I just whistle & it jumps out.
was thinking today, if I was you the first thing I would do is to, with the battery disconnected, try tightening the 2 nuts that hold the main lead on & the thick wire going into the starter on the back of the solenoid & see if either will tighten. if one or both do, you may have fixed your problem. IIRC they are 12 or 13 mm nuts, should be copper/brass. You can probably do it without removing anything, just use a 1/4"drive ratchet socket.

Luminol 29-12-2017 09:16 AM

Thanks a lot, will do!!!!

Luminol 29-12-2017 10:20 PM

I’ve managed to pick up a refurbished one from Bosch or £120. So I have that ready now for when I need to do it. At that price, it was worth buying and holding onto! Then I can switch it out with the old one and tinker with that and shelf it just in case!