AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   WH 2010 3 litre engine oil over fill (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155284)

bjm 30-03-2019 05:08 AM

WH 2010 3 litre engine oil over fill

Been buying Penrite 5w40 eco oil in 10 litre containers taking 500 mill out and putting the rest in ,9.5 litres as per book.Always well overfull on the dip stick.Yesterday I measured correct amount in a plastic 2 litre measuring jug.Checked what was left in the 10 litre container,over 1 litre of oil !!They must be over filling the containers. A good bonus.

robertodonnell 30-03-2019 06:25 AM

So the data specifies 9.5, but the Sprinter forum guys believe it's actually 8.5, through some Merc technical revision sent out.

If this is the case it would go a long way to lowering crankcase blowby I'd reckon! Oh, and good on Penrite for not being stingy!

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

WH3.0 01-04-2019 06:20 PM

Mine with 9.5 ltrs (as book states) is half way on the dip stick and 10 ltrs is at the full mark.

If i fill it to the full mark on the dipstick (10 ltrs ) it will burn it down to the half way mark everytime. so stuffed if i know LOL

So now it only gets its 9.5 ltrs and doesn't use any, so i figured its still between the min and max lines so i will leave it.

robertodonnell 01-04-2019 07:19 PM

Probably windage caused by the crank, whipping the oil up and turning into mist and sending it through the pcv.

I can't say I've ever had any success using the dipstick, I've always just measured out 9.5l and done it that way.

bjm 02-04-2019 04:39 AM

Measured 9.5 litres oil, left overnight and nearly up to full mark in the morning.Dipstick pain in the ass when on the road go to check oil looks empty
hour later showing ok. Took both intercooler inlet and outlet hoses off Sunday.Outlet had cracks all the way around it.!! Inlet felt very soft.It is a silicone hose.Outlet looks like rubber. .Provent must be doing its job as no oil in intercooler. Getting new ones from Poland.

robertodonnell 02-04-2019 06:59 AM

Believe they are rubber. The oil mist would eventually break them down.

Sooner or later I plan on a cooler upgrade, turbo silencer delete and silicone hoses. Reports say improved throttle response and better fuel consumption figures.