AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   ESP Disable - Take two (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84348)

CrazyNuts 15-02-2009 08:36 PM

JK Wrangler ESP Disable (CrazyNuts Mod)

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS OR REPERCUSSIONS CAUSED BY THIS MOD. DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IT IS INTENDED FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY

So the flash from JEEP wasn't enough for your off road needs?
ESP still kicking in when it's not needed?
BAS interfering like the Political Correctness Brigade?

Well here is your answer, the ESP Disable switch (aka CrazyNuts Mod)

ESP, BAS, TC and ABS is dictated by one module, the DYNAMICS SENSOR. If this sensor becomes faulty, or is disconnected, your ABS, TC, ESP and BAS will fail to function.

This sensor can be found in your centre console just in front of the rear cup holders on the driver's side.

Here is what you need to do

1) Unbolt the 4 screws that hold the centre console.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GkZIFUNT_v...ushing1-01.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HsyN5G-SY...ushing1-02.jpg

2) Locate the PURPLE/LIGHT BLUE wire. Be careful as there is a PURPLE/DARK BLUE wire right next to it and they look almost identical. I'd be checking twice, cutting once, here.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/cimg/www.jk-...04a-116261.jpg

3) Check if you cut the right wire, turn the ignition to ON and see if the ABS, TC and ESP/BAS lights come on and stay on after 10 seconds. If they do then you got the right wire.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...74eb6a21a6.jpg

4) Extend the cut Purple/Light blue wire by soldering some longer wires to reach a switch (polarity is irrelevant). Attach it to a simple ON/OFF switch anywhere in your vehicle. You can opt to make this concealed, but really, why bother?

Please note: While operating the vehicle with safety features turned ON, and you flick the switch it WILL disable the safety features on the move. Unfortunately it will not work in reverse. You will have to turn OFF the vehicle, flick the switch and then start it again for the safety features to return.

EDIT: As my original pictures were hosted on a private account which is no longer active, I have "acquired" these from the internet, but the process is the same.

JK-Forum.com have copied my mod and posted up on their site, for anyone wanting to reference their instructions/pics please see link below.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...7/#post3377200

Big90inOz 15-02-2009 09:52 PM

:D :mrgreen: :D
Good on you

davidd 15-02-2009 10:37 PM

We Love You Crazynuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davidd 15-02-2009 10:37 PM

:):):):):):):)

Big90inOz 16-02-2009 06:42 AM

Is it important that the car is facing North and does it have to be 28C **)

carvesdodo 16-02-2009 06:53 AM

CrazyNuts ....

I'm having a problem working out which is the best part of your post ....

The pics and procedures or ......

The well worded comment in orange ......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just one thing ... when you have the module switched off ... do your lattes in the cupholders go cold quicker ????

Could be of vital interest and importance to some .... :p :p :D :D

CrazyNuts 16-02-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big90inOz (Post 942048)
Is it important that the car is facing North and does it have to be 28C **)

Yes, very important. You have to conduct the procedure correctly. Kind of like the steering wheel trick with the ESP.

If you do it facing south, you will be in -28 deg territory and I would imagine the soldering iron would have a hard time getting up to correct temp. Not to mention you will make the wires look like they have been in a boxing ring with Edward Scissorhands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carvesdodo (Post 942049)
CrazyNuts ....

I'm having a problem working out which is the best part of your post ....

The pics and procedures or ......

The well worded comment in orange ......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just one thing ... when you have the module switched off ... do your lattes in the cupholders go cold quicker ????

Could be of vital interest and importance to some .... :p :p :D :D

Latte? WTF? Hey...are you one of those politically correct do gooders in disguise trying to inflitrate this thread?

I'm watching you....

DIY 16-02-2009 11:43 AM

U have changed since i last seen u Chris, back when u had the tj it had to be perfect and the best of everything, now your hacking into the electronics and drilling holes in the dash of your brand new jk.......I like it :) :)

How in the hell did u find the control box under there? Is that the power in wire?

I would only flick the switch with the key off, u don't want spikes going through your electrics. I think u can buy special switches for electronics from dicksmiths?

davidd 16-02-2009 01:10 PM

what the hell is a dicksmith? anything like a blacksmith? if so the pain would be enormous.

hemijeepy 16-02-2009 01:10 PM

This should be a sticky

Weldone! 10/10

Evil Dolf 16-02-2009 01:38 PM

Sorry guys, I know I asked this in the ESP Disable thread - Mk 1, but didn't get a chance to read the reply before the nanny brigade struck...

What's the difference in doing this mod, and holding off the ESP switch for 7 seconds or so ? What else extra does it turn off?

DIY 16-02-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd (Post 942192)
what the hell is a dicksmith? anything like a blacksmith? if so the pain would be enormous.

electronics shop

Darksider 16-02-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Dolf (Post 942200)
Sorry guys, I know I asked this in the ESP Disable thread - Mk 1, but didn't get a chance to read the reply before the nanny brigade struck...

What's the difference in doing this mod, and holding off the ESP switch for 7 seconds or so ? What else extra does it turn off?

ESP
ABS
Traction Control
Are all PERMANENTLY off when this mod is done :D As you can see in Crazynuts Dash Picture!
Aslo EPS doesn't kick in after that certain speed limit (40/km i think) with this mod!
This mod is great and works perfectly, i was in the jeep when it was being tested ;)

davidd 16-02-2009 03:10 PM

with the driveshafts locked in 4wd all you need is a rear diff lock and you just about have the ultimate 4wd. do anything and no bloody electronics.

Von Depner 16-02-2009 03:26 PM

Crazynuts , The gods of esp/ bas are going to get you as from this moment you are doomed to never have a safe car again. We will try praying for you but I do not think it will help.
May the gods have mercy on your poor lost soul.

Von Depner
Thank god Im a atheist so if I perfom this mod I will be okay.

BrisNut 16-02-2009 03:44 PM

Hmm so cutting this loses the awsomely good traction control to I guess, which may be not needed on the beach anyway.
I cut the other purple wire and now my kitchen light flickers snd my microwave brings up an error code, can I get a reflash to fix this? :)

CrazyNuts 16-02-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIY (Post 942153)
U have changed since i last seen u Chris, back when u had the tj it had to be perfect and the best of everything, now your hacking into the electronics and drilling holes in the dash of your brand new jk.......I like it :) :)

How in the hell did u find the control box under there? Is that the power in wire?

I would only flick the switch with the key off, u don't want spikes going through your electrics. I think u can buy special switches for electronics from dicksmiths?

Hahahaha...nothing's changed mate. I'm still ******** about how clean my jeep is :D

Not AS bad as i used to be though. It WAS my first ever new car so i was alowed to be ******** ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Depner (Post 942253)
Crazynuts , The gods of esp/ bas are going to get you as from this moment you are doomed to never have a safe car again. We will try praying for you but I do not think it will help.
May the gods have mercy on your poor lost soul.

Von Depner
Thank god Im a atheist so if I perfom this mod I will be okay.

Hey...don't get me wrong, I still use all the safety features, and i generaly don't turn them off even when off-road, but there have been isntances where i just wanted the have the CHOICE.

Evil Dolf 17-02-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyslexicjeep (Post 942234)
ESP
ABS
Traction Control
Are all PERMANENTLY off when this mod is done :D As you can see in Crazynuts Dash Picture!
Aslo EPS doesn't kick in after that certain speed limit (40/km i think) with this mod!
This mod is great and works perfectly, i was in the jeep when it was being tested ;)

Thanks!!:D

davidd 26-02-2009 01:58 PM

just to give an example of how ineffective this stuff is. we had a bit of rain in perth yesterday and after the dry summer the roads became pretty greasy. taking off from traffic lights promoting wheel spin was real easy as the diesel came onto boost. got whel spin in 1st second and third. wheels spun freely and car moved forawad under wheel spin till engine hit about 3000 rpm, then as i backed off it seemed the vehicle swayed a bit as one wheel gripped and another was braked by the abs system. so it seems system is totally useless if both wheels spin. also then tried a few fast corners to test esp. turned into corner and hung a four wheel drift , with rear wheels spinning and steering wheel on oposite lock. as the truck was at the maximum drift angle on lots of opposite lock the esp light came on and i could feel the abs working. but by this time i was already about to pull out and straighten up. tried it on both wheel locks in case sensor on one side was faulty. this stuff really doesn't come on till it's pretty much too late and is obviously not very sensitive. seemed to me that the esp cut in right on the limit of my ability to correct the vehicle. had i pushed it any harder it would have spun out and i doubt the esp could have stopped it. i dont doubt what others have said about the problems in sand. there is a lot of wheel spin in sand and the braking effect is not welcome at any time. but just from what i tried on the blacktop , the only part of the whole system that is really going to be of any practical use under practical driving conditions is the normal abs braking function. don't know what others have experienced, but that was my experience after having tested the whole thing on wet greasy roads, where it is supposed be of maximum use.

DIY 26-02-2009 06:10 PM

If both wheels are spinning at the same time and no traction control kicked in the computer must just pick up left to right wheel speed only and not front to rear aswell, which is a good thing.

Have u ever given a car with TC a boot full to get across a intersection only for it to kick in and leave u in the middle of oncoming traffic with no power.

Jeep-Spec 26-02-2009 07:09 PM

Also make sure you have your "COOL RIDGE" bottle handy one of the keys to Crazy Nuts sucess.

Keep the fluids up!

davidd 26-02-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIY (Post 945690)
If both wheels are spinning at the same time and no traction control kicked in the computer must just pick up left to right wheel speed only and not front to rear aswell, which is a good thing.

Have u ever given a car with TC a boot full to get across a intersection only for it to kick in and leave u in the middle of oncoming traffic with no power.

no can't say i have, but i thought tha was the way it was supposed to work. if you tramped it away from the lights, the TC cut in and stopped you doing a burnout from the lights. but apparently not so.

Mr_Rubicon 27-02-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIY (Post 945690)

the joys of almost being hit by a truck ... just as you think there is a big enough gap then it cuts out ...

mines petrol rubi ... and it cuts in all the time ... but soon as i lose traction esp kicks in, if i plant it off the lights esp kicks in ... constantly something wants to stop me from being able to speed ... its just no FUN ...

davidd 27-02-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redgp (Post 945779)
David, you are a hoon!!!

I wonder if they have ever confiscated a bloody long wheel base Wrangler under the hoon regulations from a 60 year old fart like you yet? , that would majke the papers!!

I am glad your south of the river, I was worried I might be coming the other way.

Go grey power!!!!

hi steve, yeah another old fart with a mis-spent youth. and it's still fun if you don't get caught.

JK07 15-03-2009 03:25 PM

This is one of the best mods you can do to your JK essential for 4WDing.

CrazyNuts well done for finding out the esp disable wire. And extremely easy to do as well.

I have tested this in Robe sand driving and was glad how well it can perform without the ESP.

Cheers

CrazyNuts 17-03-2009 05:22 PM

You're all welcome

Just make sure you clear all the errors this throws up to the ECU (before going to the dealer for any warrant work ;)).

Great tool for this is the one that Wooders sells for $225. As expected this will tell the ECU that the Dynamics Sensor has failed as it's not responding (but we know that's not the case).

pdh351 17-03-2009 06:20 PM

I took my JK in for some warranty work last Friday and the dealer sort of did this mod for me.

They wiped the dynamic control module (as a recall/reprogram thing) and couldn't write back it.

Now I am waiting for a new part and driving with the "safety" systems off.

They were not going to give me my car back, because there was no ABS.
I was cautioned about how dangerous it is without ABS and ESP.

HA! I remember the days before ABS, ESP and all the other abbreviated BS.

CrazyNuts 17-03-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdh351 (Post 951543)

HA! I remember the days before ABS, ESP and all the other abbreviated BS.

LOL...I love the irony in this sentence :D

JK07 17-03-2009 07:27 PM

After you restart the vehcile the ECU restarts also clears all codes etc if the problem is fixed but I do have hypertec programmer which clears DTC codes or you can check them by turn key procedure.

I did tried the permamnently disable ESP program done by dealer it does permanently disable the ESP but NOT the brake assist system which could be pain in the butt.

But I am happy with the mod thanks again for finding for us.

Happy Jeeping

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyNuts (Post 951531)
You're all welcome

Just make sure you clear all the errors this throws up to the ECU (before going to the dealer for any warrant work ;)).

Great tool for this is the one that Wooders sells for $225. As expected this will tell the ECU that the Dynamics Sensor has failed as it's not responding (but we know that's not the case).

BrisNut 18-03-2009 07:09 AM

Sp on the beach it appears the traction control or the BAS is the problem? I'm thinking the traction control as it prevents wheelspin? I'm about to got to Rainbow Beach this weekend for it's first sand trip and haven't done this mod because I want to see how much of a problem it is first :)

Brettski 18-03-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrisNut (Post 951660)
Sp on the beach it appears the traction control or the BAS is the problem? I'm thinking the traction control as it prevents wheelspin? I'm about to got to Rainbow Beach this weekend for it's first sand trip and haven't done this mod because I want to see how much of a problem it is first :)

While you're trying out various combinations of ESP on the beach, make sure you do the manual-recommended method of holding the ESP button down for 10 seconds while the vehicle is stopped. I've done this and - yes - while it doesn't completely disable anything I found that it got rid of enough to make the car more than capable in the sand.

Sure, it resets every time you restart the car and yes it enables itself again above 40 km/h (or whatever) but it will give you the ability to spin the wheels when the vehicle is stopped should you need to do that.

I'm not saying the mod isn't a good thing - I think it has its place and I'm considering it myself but if you don't want to (or can't for whatever reasons - time, warranty, etc.) do it then the inbuilt options are worth a try.

B.

BrisNut 18-03-2009 05:52 PM

Yep I will try all the factory stuff and if a problem is ovious will even try the lockers, if I can't get sand flying with the diff locks engaged will be interesting to see. Though I can see for those little bursts in 2WD ESP disable might be handy, (talking loose sand on the beach not the tracks or cuttings).

BrisNut 21-03-2009 07:13 PM

Ok, got back from the beach today and had a bit of play with the stock ESP disable system.
We noticed in RWD the traction control would restrict throttle but yet let the back dig it self down, both wheels spinning equally. I tried to do some RWD donuts, failure, traction control prevented me from getting any revs up enough to do a half decent donut, I was just driving in circles.
I then tried 4WD high and had similar results, so I held the ESP button on till it chimed then the ESPOFF came up on the instrument cluster. Then I found I could get wheelspin and do a4wd donut, revs did climb but not exactly quickly.
But other than that using 4WD and some 2WD on the soft sand I still found the Jeep capable, just missed not being able to do got RWD donuts and sand fountains or plug up the beach in soft sand in RWD as I have been able to do with previous vehicles lacking front drive.
So I don't personally find this mod necessary yet but would really have liked a manual option from the factory to turn off traction control in 2WD. But am interested to know if they found similsr problems and found this modfixed these situations.
I also tried with the rear diff lock, and it doesn't engage in 2WD, but in 4WD made no difference other than making the turning circle larger.

andyperth 21-03-2009 07:31 PM

I'm new to this love your work so far. :)

rodxj 09-04-2009 11:16 PM

After spending a week on Fraser Island with the mod done to my JK, I'm more than impressed with it. Before I did the mod, I found the motor was lacking power on soft sand, downright gutless springs to mind. After mod, lookout!! as in previous posts, the authors expressed a belief in horsepower increase, well I can say I definately agree with them on that point! I can appreciate the benefits of BAS/ ABS yada, yada for onroad conditions, but when your struggling through soft,dry sand and the damn computer is hindering your progress because it senses a spinning wheel and backs off the power AAAGGHH.:wall:
I only plan to flick the switch when it's deemed necessary offroad, atleast now, I have the option of choice.
Thanks to Crazy Nuts for posting this valuable mod.......10/10 mate:D
Rod

CrazyNuts 10-04-2009 09:31 PM

I just found another use for the ESP MOD today.

When I was trying to tow someone out of some soft sand, and my vehuicle slid sideways as the recovery was on a slight angle.

The ESP/TC kicked in and got ME stuck. It decided I was out of control and all the brakes came on. This resulted in the smell of a burning clutch. Let's just say I could speak all flavours of colourful language at that stage.

******** YOU CHRYSLER AND YOUR BULLSHIT ********ING SAFETY. YOUR TURNING AN OFF-ROADER INTO A HEAP OF SHIT!!!!!

Yom 11-04-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyNuts (Post 958992)
I just found another use for the ESP MOD today.

When I was trying to tow someone out of some soft sand, and my vehuicle slid sideways as the recovery was on a slight angle.

The ESP/TC kicked in and got ME stuck. It decided I was out of control and all the brakes came on. This resulted in the smell of a burning clutch. Let's just say I could speak all flavours of colourful language at that stage.

******** YOU CHRYSLER AND YOUR BULLSHIT ********ING SAFETY. YOUR TURNING AN OFF-ROADER INTO A HEAP OF SHIT!!!!!

They didn't need electronics to do the last part. None of the manufacturers do these days.. :(

CrazyNuts 04-05-2009 08:20 AM

So how many of you guys have done this mod so far?

What are YOUR thoughts before/after the mod?

Just interested to know.

Stevil 04-05-2009 09:35 AM

ESP Mods will be performed when warranty runs, due to hit 100 000k by June.

Steve

carvesdodo 04-05-2009 11:10 AM

And if disconnection of these items is not allowed ... does that mean the manufacturers are using ... work one day / not the next ... electronics to overcome failings in vehicle mechanical design ... and that it is govt sanctioned ???.