AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   ESP Disable - Take two (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84348)

ShortBlack 23-08-2009 09:03 PM

yep let me know how you go.

Bugger now i cant get to my jeep for 4 weeks to re try it cos im going away.
So be good to see how you go there Chad.
Question- did you get the updated software or do you have an 08 or 09 model? I think only 07 and early 08 didnt have the feature in the ECU

CrazyNuts 16-09-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MALS-JK (Post 1000567)
Yes i know- BAS is Fully active but ABS is in Off-Road Mode (allows for more skid) [i think BAS active is fine as it just applies max brake power in emergency braking]

Traction control is off, but limited slip feature is still active which i think is fine to have too.

ESP & ERM are fully disabled.

Attached a list of what exactly happens in the different ESP Modes

BAS is what killed me 90% of the time when I lost all power when I needed it most.

This is why I did this mod in the first place.

I don't want ANY interference from the "safety" features.

Yom 16-09-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyNuts (Post 1007990)
BAS is what killed me 90% of the time when I lost all power when I needed it most.

This is why I did this mod in the first place.

I don't want ANY interference from the "safety" features.

how did brake assist cause a loss of power when it is only ever active when you're hard enough on the brakes that the computer thinks you need help to stop?

CrazyNuts 16-09-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yom (Post 1008014)
how did brake assist cause a loss of power when it is only ever active when you're hard enough on the brakes that the computer thinks you need help to stop?

Because BAS kicks in when you lose traction (part of the Tracktion Control System).

It applies the brake so "transfer" the power to the wheel with the most traction. Unfortunately it's not a very smart system, especially in slippery situations.

The whole safety system interfeers WAY too much off road in my opinion.

davidd 17-09-2009 01:51 AM

no mate that's the brake lock diff (bld) or there's electronic brake distribution (ebd) which applies brakes to any slipping wheel leaving drive on any wheel that aint slipping. if 3 wheels slip the drive theoretically all goes tothe one wheel which isn't slipping. which then starts to slip itself because one wheel has no chance of pulling the car out of the bog if the other three have no grip. at that point i think the computer has a mental breakdown, cannot decide what to do, whether to apply brakes to all wheels or let all wheels spin, or selectively try random wheels to see if they will take the drive, or let the whole software crash until some one else sorts the problem and reboots it. whatever the best thing to do with that bit of software when put in a 4wd is to remove it.

davidd 17-09-2009 02:05 AM

bas or brake assist is the one that under heavy braking, slams the pedal to the floor and only the abs pulsing prevents the wheels from skidding, pulling the car up in the shortest distance known to man while attempting to throw the driver and occupants out through the windscreen. it stops the vehicle so fast that the vehicle following behind with out bas slams straight in the back of you, drastically reducing the length of both vehicles and solving any future problems you may have fitting into small parking spaces. it also causes whiplash to occupants of both vehicles as a result of the collision resulting in rather large payments from your 3rd party insurance enabling all of them to take a 6 month recuperative holiday in a nice warm sunny environment surrounded by waving palm trees and grass skirted women doing a hula dance. also not a nice thing to have on a 4wd.

davidd 17-09-2009 02:12 AM

but the one you're actually refering to is the brake lock diff function, which in 4wd applies the brake to any spinning wheel and causing the vehicle to bog itself in the most inopportune places such as cable beach at low tide, as the tide turns and starts to rise to it's full 30 ft maximum, before you can dig the damned thing out.