AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Awning for 2017 grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152597)

LeCheese 25-01-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colm (Post 1680380)
That is not a bad idea
Did the hidden air damper come with the roof rails??
How does it go for wind noise?

The rails come with it yeah. Was missing one of the brackets to hold the air dam in so ran it without for a while, but to Chief's credit they shipped it immediately when I emailed them. Without the air dam it was certainly noticeable, but I wouldn't say it was too bad - just turned the radio up a bit.

I've installed the air dam and then wind noise is less but has since developed a whistle above 50km/h. I think it's just because the one of the crossbars for the platform sits right above the dam, effectively trapping the air and not giving it anywhere to escape. Should be an easy fix, but involves taking the platform off to slide the crossmember back a bit and slot into one of the other holes on the chief rails instead. Been meaning to adjust it for a few weeks, but haven't gotten around to it.

Only challenge with the Chief/Pioneer platform combo is aligning the rails is a bit of a pain to get sitting right as you have to do it without the rack on, as opposed to putting everything on loosely and then tightening if you go full Chief setup. Otherwise it's very easy to fit otherwise due to the number of holes available in the Chief rails, and the rails were designed to take the Pioneer platform originally, so lengths are pretty much identical. Really neat setup and very happy with my decision though.

If you end up going this route, let me know and I can flick you the measurements for how to adjust the crossmembers on the Pioneer platform so it all sits nicely

frog_a_lot 28-01-2022 01:08 PM

I have been looking at the 180 awnings rather than the 270s since I want decent access to boot for my fridge and drawers and the like.

Darche sell a 180 awning for around 900 which looks quite good.
23Zero only sell the 270 in Aus, but they do sell 'conversion straps' which let you open the 270 up to only 180, which might be alright.

The 23Zero 270 is good because it has a coating on the underside which cuts out a lot more light and heat compared to others.

drover 29-01-2022 05:59 AM

Gee, I just have an Awning from Aldi, $50, one side and its on its second vehicle but I did look at the ones to cover the back but since ours gets used a lot on the beach, you can get into a lot of trouble if the wind suddenly gets up with them as I saw one do the roof flip but it would be nice to have....... I use Woollies shopping bags full of sand as tie as tie down weights.

Grippy 29-01-2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drover (Post 1680555)
.. I use Woollies shopping bags full of sand as tie as tie down weights.

Drover, I like your style mate, simple yet effective!

drover 29-01-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grippy (Post 1680561)
Drover, I like your style mate, simple yet effective!

Old trick for beach camping, had a fella look at my sand bags and got pissed because he had spent big $$$ on these fancy screw in sand spikes, which he said didn't hold as well as my shopping bags, I just scoop the sand into them and drop the bag in the hole and use snap clips on the rope to hook to bags and awning, when the wind gets up you don't want to be stuffing around with things....... The weigh of the bigger awnings is a bit much as I only have the roof rails and 30kg off one end wouldn't be good at all I imagine.....

Grippy 29-01-2022 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drover (Post 1680563)
Old trick for beach camping, had a fella look at my sand bags and got pissed because he had spent big $$$ on these fancy screw in sand spikes, which he said didn't hold as well as my shopping bags, I just scoop the sand into them and drop the bag in the hole and use snap clips on the rope to hook to bags and awning, when the wind gets up you don't want to be stuffing around with things....... The weigh of the bigger awnings is a bit much as I only have the roof rails and 30kg off one end wouldn't be good at all I imagine.....

Yep, my mate has a Foxwing or similar brand type thing, it's huge, and while it's mighty impressive and shady, I am fairly sure the sucker weighs in at a hefty 45kg from what he was telling me.
Sand pegs are an interesting thing, I've got some huge old steel pegs that hold alright in the sand, however, weighing the legs down with some bags or bottles filled with the plentiful sand is much better.

Colm 30-01-2022 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drover (Post 1680555)
..... I use Woollies shopping bags full of sand as tie as tie down weights.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/26xBuCNizHgIVIvyo" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/stanaustralia-friends-26xBuCNizHgIVIvyo">via GIPHY</a></p>