AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheres the best spots to drive? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Albany, WA 4wding tracks close to town? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113835)

powerman15 02-03-2012 08:52 AM

Albany, WA 4wding tracks close to town?

Hi Guys,

I'm heading down to Albany for the weekend and was wondering whether anyone could give us some idea of some good 4wd tracks close to albany?

I went through the stirling ranges near Nanarup last year and on Nanarup beach..

Was thinking more out the west side this time? near Torbay Inlet? are their tracks in there?

Cheers

CrazyNuts 04-03-2012 06:24 PM

Between Albany and Denmark there are heaps of places you can go.

West Cape Howe National Park
Parry Beach at William Bay National Park
right next door is Eagle's Nest Beach
Boat Harbor Rd off South Coast Hwy will take you to another nice beach.

If you've got time, take a drive past Denmark as there are a lot of tracks there. Broke Inlet (40km West of Walpole) is a great drive and takes you to a place where the river meets the ocean but is separated by a sand bank (very much like Moore River).

Also, East of Albany towards Mount Manypeaks is a great place too. I recommend going to the end of Nanarup Rd as the little pool NORTH of the beach is awesome (you have to walk there as vehicles are prohibited. Well worth it).

Further east you have Waychinicup National Park. There is a turnoff to the RIGHT on the way to Cheyne Beach that will lead you to some awesome cliffs. If the swell is huge, the smashing waves are a sight to be seen.

I suggest you go to http://maps.google.com.au and turn on the PHOTOS feature. You will then see where others have been and it will give you an idea as to where you can go.

powerman15 06-03-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyNuts (Post 1267600)
Between Albany and Denmark there are heaps of places you can go.

West Cape Howe National Park
Parry Beach at William Bay National Park
right next door is Eagle's Nest Beach
Boat Harbor Rd off South Coast Hwy will take you to another nice beach.

If you've got time, take a drive past Denmark as there are a lot of tracks there. Broke Inlet (40km West of Walpole) is a great drive and takes you to a place where the river meets the ocean but is separated by a sand bank (very much like Moore River).

Also, East of Albany towards Mount Manypeaks is a great place too. I recommend going to the end of Nanarup Rd as the little pool NORTH of the beach is awesome (you have to walk there as vehicles are prohibited. Well worth it).

Further east you have Waychinicup National Park. There is a turnoff to the RIGHT on the way to Cheyne Beach that will lead you to some awesome cliffs. If the swell is huge, the smashing waves are a sight to be seen.

I suggest you go to http://maps.google.com.au and turn on the PHOTOS feature. You will then see where others have been and it will give you an idea as to where you can go.

Thanks mate! great bit of info! all taken well onboard, I actually ended up going down to Torbay Inlet and got onto the beach down there :)

was good fun!

Cheers

andyperth 06-03-2012 08:48 PM

Mate do West Cape Howe National Park the track is about 15km long let you tyres down it a good day trip.

rhysTJ 06-03-2012 09:05 PM

Mate i'm a local here and if you after some good tracks mostly soft sand and hills i would be going for a drive through west cape howe LOTS of tracks out there

Also if you up for challenge on your way out stop and visit dingo beach the track up im summer can be interesting not too bad if you let your pressures down.

AND... if you really want to test your skills i would give bornholm an attempt, it's believed to be the HARDEST beach access track in AUSTRALIA according to several websites and mags.

be warned but if you can get back up the hill the tow fee is huge, i believe a local farmer bought a 2nd hand tractor just for the purpose of pulling people up it. They say he charges about $500 bucks a pull and hates it if you say no and then call him back again....

In saying that i've driven it twice never had a problem even with muddies so... just drop your pressures and it will be all sweet but dont muck around go low to start off with or the track only gets harder

anyways hope ya have a good one

powerman15 07-03-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhysTJ (Post 1268272)
Mate i'm a local here and if you after some good tracks mostly soft sand and hills i would be going for a drive through west cape howe LOTS of tracks out there

Also if you up for challenge on your way out stop and visit dingo beach the track up im summer can be interesting not too bad if you let your pressures down.

AND... if you really want to test your skills i would give bornholm an attempt, it's believed to be the HARDEST beach access track in AUSTRALIA according to several websites and mags.

be warned but if you can get back up the hill the tow fee is huge, i believe a local farmer bought a 2nd hand tractor just for the purpose of pulling people up it. They say he charges about $500 bucks a pull and hates it if you say no and then call him back again....

In saying that i've driven it twice never had a problem even with muddies so... just drop your pressures and it will be all sweet but dont muck around go low to start off with or the track only gets harder

anyways hope ya have a good one

Yeah i'll deffs be giving bornholm an attempt at some stage of my life, after a few upgrades :)

but yeah next time i'm down i'll head out to Cape Howe and do some adventuring! sounds like some good tracks!

Cheers

anthony1 03-12-2013 09:59 PM

Re: Albany, WA 4wding tracks close to town?

I did a track today off 2 people's bay rd, just before the little beach turn off. Very inconspicuous entry, just a gravel track with a sign pointing down it saying 'water'. Took it and it soon turned into a great short-ish track out to the coast line. Terrific scenery.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/03/aqava4an.jpg