AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fabrication and Custom (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   TRAILER XJ Aluminium (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129847)

kyphonii 07-12-2013 11:23 AM

TRAILER XJ Aluminium

2 Attachment(s)
Ive started my trailer for the XJ.
XJ mainly for rim and dimensions
Purpose will be a yard flat top, Mesh sided flat top, Camper OffRoad trailer.
Any interesting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kyphonii 07-12-2013 11:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more images

Crawlerpaul 07-12-2013 12:33 PM

Looks great so far, I like the idea of all aluminium, welding/workmanship looks A1, I will watch this with interest........keep thinking of doing one myself, but really dont have the need, already have a camper trailer and box trailer, just like the DIY approach, and gives me something to do...good luck with it!

bruggz351 07-12-2013 02:52 PM

Lookin good man. :cool:

This will be an interesting build...

cheers

CJ6np435 07-12-2013 06:27 PM

TRAILER XJ Aluminium

Looks good, tig or mig?

kyphonii 07-12-2013 07:25 PM

TRAILER XJ Aluminium

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ6np435 (Post 1433093)
Looks good, tig or mig?

It's all tig welded.
I have a water cooled tig. Would be to big a job with out the water cooling.
I have to use up to 230 amps on some of the heavy Aluminium.
The hand piece would melt after only a little run at over 200 amps.

kyphonii 07-12-2013 07:45 PM

TRAILER XJ Aluminium

I'm using XJ rear springs to get a softer ride from the long spring leafs, XJ rims with 31" tyres, XJ rear shocks and XJ rear bump stops. Provision for second set of shocks like pump up shocks (only because a have a set).
Flip the axle under the spring if you want 33" tyres. I've made the tray 1850mm wide and 2560mm long. The tray height at 900mm high on 31". Departure angle for the trailer is greater than the jeep with a 4" lift. Tow ball height is 625 mm high.
There is a second tray under the main tray approx 1800x1000. Spare should site forward of the axle and under the main tray, will be able to fit a 33" in this spot. So far I'm at 130 kg aluminium.
Using a 4wd coupling on a 50mm ball so the trailer can be fitted to any vehicle if need be. Electric brakes with on trailer controller if the tow vehicle doesn't have fitted electric brake controller. Vehicle mounted controller will override the trailer mounted controller.
Different tops will mount on the tray. Cage, camper, and enclosed tradesman setup.