AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chitchat (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128314)

Dustbowl 26-09-2013 08:54 PM

Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think?

Ok guys, I wanted to hear some opinoins on our gun laws, Are we all treated like criminals with a violent past? Children incapable of making our own grown up decisions?
Or do the laws that Only stop criminals have the effect on the aussie who wants to be "bad, but not that bad"

Fire away guys :D

WhiteMeat 26-09-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustbowl (Post 1416282)
Ok guys, I wanted to hear some opinoins on our gun laws, Are we all treated like criminals with a violent past? Children incapable of making our own grown up decisions?

Pretty much sums it up, the majority of firearms owners are some of the most legally responsible people in Australia (we have to be to enjoy the sport, and this is not only from firearms safekeeping laws, but extends to everything we do as the Commissioner can revoke a license based on the facts of whether a firearms license holder is a 'good and proper person' Just have to look at what happens when a vindictive AVO is taken out against a firearms owner and the Courts acknowledge that the AVO has no grounds / was vindictive - the firearm/s owner that had the AVO against them *still* needs to prove that they are a good & proper person to the Commissioner, even though the Courts have thrown the AVO out) There's always the minority to stuff it up for everyone though, and like in other pursuits, its these idiots that get the air time and the restrictions brought in.

Rock God 26-09-2013 10:45 PM

I think the law is just. Look at the US they are a good example of what happens when these laws are relaxed. The law does not stop the bad guy they still manage to get illegal weapons but at least every second guy does not have a uzi in the house.

AroGantz 26-09-2013 11:00 PM

Re: Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think?

I'm with rock god, if you want a gun for the right reason you can still get one, I handed my guns in when the amnesty was on because I honestly have no use for them.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

sladey 27-09-2013 01:30 AM

A citizenry should be armed.(edit- almost forgot, we're not citizens we're subjects of the queen, silly me) time to bust out the quotes again...

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Thomas Jefferson

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

Joseph Story, 1840

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

John F. Kennedy (a liberal democrat......)

ok I'll stop now :)

AroGantz 27-09-2013 01:52 AM

Re: Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think?

Nice American quotes, they don't mean jack sh!t to me though.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Dustbowl 27-09-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sladey (Post 1416319)
A citizenry should be armed.(edit- almost forgot, we're not citizens we're subjects of the queen, silly me) time to bust out the quotes again...

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Thomas Jefferson

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

Joseph Story, 1840

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

John F. Kennedy (a liberal democrat......)

ok I'll stop now :)

I'm very much on board with this, (White meat is on the money too) Those who can sacrafice essentail liberty for temporary security deserve neither.

The US Constitution is the near perfect blueprint for a free people,
In the perfect world all you need is the first ammendment (Right to free speech) But not only does the constitution state these rights, but also, the right to defend them (The second ammendment)

Violent Crimes per capita are lower in the US, and if you eliminate the gun free zones from the statistics it get's a lot better again.
Switzerland's population, 50% of which own a gun, and they have the most violent crime rate per capita, in the world.

It's about education, not prohibition, Teach children how to be responsible, the value of life and death, patriotism... we'll all be better for it.