AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   SeaFoam? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158593)

LuluBelle 16-11-2020 06:38 PM

SeaFoam?

Greetings all over the last few months during the 99 refresh I have watched a few youtube videos on how to do stuff ... and as with youtube you end up going down the rabbit hole and watching other videos ... I watched a lot of seafoam videos ... there are different additives but I am talking about the aerosol spray ..........
I don't live in the real world .. so all I know is I can get it on ebay au
Having said that I am not going to race out and get a can to water board both my jeeps throttle body's .... But I am Curious ;)
My engines/throttle bodies are no where near as filthy as the neglected engines in the videos ..... But what about internally? no matter how much we service them they still run high kilometres so wouldn't there be internal carbon build up?
Like I said I have no idea just because all this smoke comes out the exhaust ? does that mean its internally cleaned?
Anyone used it? .. Your opinions
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

alexbrown64 16-11-2020 07:24 PM

Sea foam is just a type of sludge remover isn’t it Mark?

I have to do my ex wife’s car when I’m home. Only 6 years old and Kia dealer said it needs a new engine because she didn’t do regular oil changes.
I’m going to use Wynns oil treatment to desludge it. Then clean the CVVI solenoid and install fresh oil and filter.

I think every now and then a lot of engines could use an extra clean just before a full oil change.

Cheers,

Fishframe 16-11-2020 09:36 PM

Seafoam, the good and the bad - https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...afoam.2067599/

layback40 17-11-2020 07:16 AM

Seafoam liquid is an antimicrobial for diesel fuel treatment. a little black on your throttle body is not a problem. Too many are OCD about cleaning the internals of their engine. If you drive more than 10km a trip, you should not need all the snake oil treatments. Spend your money on better oil & more frequent oil & filter changes. Dont forget the air & fuel filters. Keep the muck out & all is good. Anything in an aerosol sprayed into the inlet of a running engine is snake oil.

awg 17-11-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layback40 (Post 1667111)
Anything in an aerosol sprayed into the inlet of a running engine is snake oil.

I agree, and especially with this bit...cant believe mechanics charge people to clean their throttle bodie$ thi$ way

Almost certainly be better to just piss into it

Mudgee hunter 17-11-2020 01:57 PM

On the old straight 6, once a year i pull oth a bit of carbon cleaner on the idol control valve is about it for the intake.
Deisels are a different thing all together..
Especially if you don't run a catch can.
They are a filthy motor basically, and EGR's are prone to sticking and build up.

Fishframe 17-11-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudgee hunter (Post 1667126)
On the old straight 6, once a year i pull oth a bit of carbon cleaner on the idol control valve is about it for the intake.
Deisels are a different thing all together..
Especially if you don't run a catch can.
They are a filthy motor basically, and EGR's are prone to sticking and build up.

IMO every diesel should have a catch can, as should every petrol direct injection motor.