AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107124)

tazwegion 25-07-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 1207908)
It is still possible to engage the handbrake completely with the cup holder in place. If it was an issue for them, then removing 2 screws to that hold it in, shouldn't have been beyond reasonable expectation as apposed to breaking it off.

Perhaps the apprentice doing the work didn't want to fess up (to his supervisor) regarding the damage? on the XJ's I've been looking at lately the cup holder extension felt like an encumbrance on the hand brake operation though I fully see the requirement of an otherwise non-existent feature ;)

Turismo07 04-08-2011 11:03 AM

Does anyone have pics of what this mod looks like, the metal plates, welding, etc? Does it go on both sides if the chassis (driver and passenger side)?

Cheers

ingin12 04-08-2011 01:59 PM

I have only had my Jeep for a few months. Anyone have a contact for Jeep Australia? Their website does not have a "contact us" link and my local dealer does not know about the recall. I would like to contact Jeep direct to get an answer if my '94 Cherokee Limited is covered. The steering is definitely strange, lots of free play in steering wheel, about 1-2 inches with power off.
I have a post on the subject at present, but I am a bit worried if I lose steering at 100kph.
Any help would be appreciated

Regards Ingin

Kel 05-08-2011 09:22 PM

Hi Ian,

Here is the number I was given to call if I had any further issues with mine. It is the direct line to Jeep Australia - Melb Customer Service. The lady's name is Alisha, she was very helpful. 03 9238 2634.

From what she told me, there is no expiry on the recall.

Hope this helps, any further queries let me know and I will see if I can help.

Cheers

Kel

Nige 13-08-2011 10:14 AM

Does anyone actually have a copy of the service procedure for recall 723, so that we can see what is involved in the repair.

I have a copy of the recall notice from the www.nhtsa.gov website, but the attached service procedure is missing every second page.

Cheers,
Nige

Big Dave 13-08-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turismo07 (Post 1210972)
Does anyone have pics of what this mod looks like, the metal plates, welding, etc? Does it go on both sides if the chassis (driver and passenger side)?

Cheers

I'll try and get some pics of mine, but it is basically 2 plates that are welded on either side of the chassis rail with crush tubes where the bolts pass through into the steering box.

tazwegion 17-09-2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 1203734)
I have also spoken to customer service at Jeep Australia, who were very helpful in explaining there was two parts to the recall fix. 1) Inspection of chassis showing no cracks, then a strengthening weld was to be done. 2) if cracks were visable in the chassis then plates to be welded to chassis for strengthening.

They also mentioned that there is no expiry on the recall.

Interestingly according to the ACCC site this recall was closed on 26th August 2010 details can be seen HERE :(

tassiecj6 17-09-2011 08:16 AM

should I check my 2000 XJ for this issue ? :(
i thought it needed a wheel alignment but it could be this problem .