AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Parts from USA (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70263)

Eltham 06-08-2007 11:37 AM

Parts from USA

I am looking at buying a set of upper and lower standard control arms for my 96 XJ from an online store in the USA. They are cheaper than just buying the bushes here and it would seem easier to replace the entire control arm than having to push the old bushes out.

Has anyone else done this? Any traps?

DazzaXJ96 06-08-2007 11:59 AM

Hi Eltham,
Yes you are right. I got mine from Quadratec and the purchase was very simple & you get an AUD quote before you confirm your purchase. Only problem I had was waiting a long time as they were out of stock. Also remember to get the full set of bushes as one set didnt have them supplied - although I recall they might have changed the website when I queried this. My only suggestion would be consider hard on spending a few extra bucks for extendable control arms as I wish I had my time over again on this choice. Also if you live near canberra I have a spare set of uppers & Lowers with bushes (approx 85% good) you can have for nothing - I cant be bothered posting.

silver_jk 06-08-2007 12:31 PM

x2 vote for quadratec there the best to deal with from my purchases there anyway :)

Eltham 06-08-2007 01:08 PM

Thanks Guys - sounds like good advice

silver_jk 06-08-2007 01:12 PM

for the parts i orderd i saved littery 50% on aust cost :shock:

Wooders 06-08-2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eltham (Post 772039)
I am looking at buying a set of upper and lower standard control arms for my 96 XJ from an online store in the USA. They are cheaper than just buying the bushes here and it would seem easier to replace the entire control arm than having to push the old bushes out.

Has anyone else done this? Any traps?

Cheaper than just the bushes here - Nope.
Easier to replace the entire arm - Yup.
But really the factory arms are pretty pathetic. I'd either:
a. Ante up for a set of aftermartket arms, or,
b. Get a set of used arms for next to nix from others that have upgraded, or,
c. Combo of a. & b. ;)

DazzaXJ96 06-08-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooders (Post 772073)
Cheaper than just the bushes here - Nope.
Easier to replace the entire arm - Yup.
But really the factory arms are pretty pathetic. I'd either:
a. Ante up for a set of aftermartket arms, or,
b. Get a set of used arms for next to nix from others that have upgraded, or,
c. Combo of a. & b. ;)

They are if you go to Pedders or similar. And if you buy cheeper ones a suspension mechanic will rip you silly - as in my quote.
a. I remember you suggesting this to me at the time and regret not taking this advice - so stop it :-( .