AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   2005 KJ Cherokee 2.8lt CRD Warning Light (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139747)

Littlegun 16-06-2015 09:16 AM

2005 KJ Cherokee 2.8lt CRD Warning Light

Hi Guys,
I have a warning light on my dash, it is shaped like a bolt of lightning, located in the lower left side of the instrument cluster, above the fuel guage.
It came on, a while after the battery light came on. So I turn around and headed for home. Along the way other warning lights came on eg. Air Bag, ABS , Brake and the radio turned off.
Car drove home OK,5 miniutes.
I could not find this warning light shown in my operating Information Booklet.
What does this warning light mean, and how can I fix the problem.

Regards Rob

glend 16-06-2015 09:24 AM

So the battery light came on first? If you had all those lights come on its likely to be a charge problem, maybe related to the alternator or a slipping auxillary drive belt. You can check the belt tension yourself but if not the belt you will probably need an auto electrican to check the alternator output and the pulley. How old is your battery?

Littlegun 16-06-2015 11:24 AM

Thanks for the reply.
The battery is about 12 months old, Red Optima.
The warning light that looks like a thunder bolt, came on first.
Then moments later the battery warning light came on.
Followed by the other warning lights.
Finaly the radio went off, thats when I turned around and went home.

bobtrudi 19-06-2015 10:23 PM

Had this problem myself, and yes, it is the alternator, as glend mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADbunyip 20-06-2015 02:41 PM

I recon their is a prob with to much info on forums and internet---KISS---
the KJ alternator is not much chop - if you run lights, radios, fridges, get an upgraded higher amp output Alt - i think the upgraded KJ Alt is around the 150 amp - hurt you wallet though, from memory i think it was around the $600 mark + fitting

senatorjohn 21-06-2015 05:36 PM

My lightning bolt comes on if I press the brake pedal while the accelerator is still depressed. Is off on the next startup.
John

adow 11-01-2018 12:17 PM

My lightning bolt light comes on a few seconds after starting the car. Then once the engine is fully warmed up, if you restart the car the light does not come on. It also seems to be affected by underbonnet temps, as on a cold day it takes longer (up to an hour) before you can get the light to go off while on a hot day 10 minutes. It does not affect the driving but it is annoying.