AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Where do I mount a VSR? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148680)

want2travel 15-05-2017 07:52 PM

Where do I mount a VSR?

Have had the 2015 WK2 CRD for 5 months now and all is great. I have a TowPro Elite brake controller for the van but am now looking at installing a Voltage Sensitive Relay connected to an Andersen plus at the rear of the car. Anyone have an idea where the actual unit can be placed as there does not appear to be enough room in the battery compartment.

Any help would be appreciated.

thommo18 15-05-2017 07:59 PM

Maybe in the front passenger side compartment under the seat??:)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

ren0vator 15-05-2017 08:01 PM

VSR's are eectronically designed to be in series
So they can be mounted anywhere after the main battery
Generally the less wire on the input side the better

Under the back seat
In the wagon
Even on the trailer itself

Cheers

chocco 15-05-2017 09:35 PM

Mine is behind the kick panel on the drivers side in the rear .

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverfox1111 16-05-2017 07:32 PM

I've put the vsr in my 2012 GC in the actual battery compartment under the drivers seat.
Silverfox

Bomber 17-05-2017 11:22 AM

What are you runnng that needs a VSR on the Anderson plug? Most modern 12v appliances will have switch off protection that effectively eliminates the need for a VSR.

The other alternative is to put the VSR on the van itself. No need for yet another thing in the car and avoids the need to do it all again if you swap cars.

We run the van compressor fridge off the car when driving and we've left it on the car for several hours without a drama. We've left the 50L Waeco on the car for 2 days without a problem. We've never bothered with a VSR, we rely on the appliances to do their thing and they've never let us down. VSRs are pretty much a solution looking for a salesman's victim unless you're running unregulated appliances.

want2travel 19-05-2017 04:58 PM

Thanks for the input, I will look at the rear kick panel option and look at he battery area again this weekend - rain and cold permitting.

I have also just seen one mounted under the bonnet using the jump start terminals - the owner reported that there was very little voltage loss and he was quite happy with it so that may be the easy option.