AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Expert Tips (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=275)
-   -   stalling, fuel pump/relay issues? read this! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149906)

Nessjeep 08-09-2017 05:01 PM

stalling, fuel pump/relay issues? read this!

Hi All,

Not exactly an expert but I have recently had stalling issues with my 2012 CRD GC. It started 2 weeks ago and the initial stall was sitting in Macca's drive thru waiting for my coffee. It occurred again when my wife was driving into town coming into a roundabout at slow speeds luckily. I checked and replaced the fuel pump relay with a standard 40amp relay and hooked up a mates scan tool. I could see a fluctuation of about 3000kpa pressure on the fuel rail. I booked the jeep in with the dealer for a proper scan fault diagnosis and to cut the story short a week later I'm down $3000 and have a new fuel pump module 1&2. The mechanic at the dealer believes the pump was sucking air causing the stall event.

I believe the relay recall and fuel pump issues are related and one has taken out the other. I believe the fuel pump failure could be considered as dangerous as the relay failure.I have contacted ACCC and they have shown interest in the matter and have asked for more info.

If anyone out there is experiencing similar issues let me or ACCC know.

Grand Cherokee 22-03-2018 06:42 PM

Hi Nessjeep,

I can see that it has been 6 months since your post, but I thought I should tell you my story just in case. I have a 2011 diesel WK. We have not experienced stalling, but have had intermittent starting problems - cranking but no start. I did some research and found various threads that pointed towards the fuel pump relay. As our GC has had the recall, it now has a separate external fuel pump relay. During a "cranking but no start" episode I tapped the new relay and the engine started. Has been going ok since, so I have ordered a new relay exactly the same as the recall relay (OMRON) from RS components.

kimbo 27-11-2018 12:21 PM

I know I'm replying to an old-ish thred, but..

Had an issue with my 2012 WK Grand Cherokee last weekend, whereby I went to start, and it fired up, then immediately stalled; tried restarting - continuously turned over, but wouldn't fire; on about the 3rd attempt it fired and immediately revved up to about 3K without me pressing the accelerator, I somehow managed to turn the engine off (not sure exactly how) then restarted, and it was perfectly OK.

Since I bought the car from new, I know this same situation has occurred twice before. So, did a bit of a google, and found that there'd been a recall, related to a fuel pump sensor relay, which according to my local dealer had be retrofitted to my car in 2016 - to be honest I can't remember whether it was, or wasn't, I remember various others, but not this one in particular.

Anyway, the symptoms I'm now suffering from appear to be exactly the same as those that required the original recall to occur. And reading the reply above, it would seem a replacement relay is required.

Question to Grand Cherokee (above): as far as you're aware, has replacing the relay, again, fixed the problem ?

Question: I've not looked for it yet, but how can I identify the "external fuel pump relay", or where is it located ? I've got it booked into my local dealer next month, but if it's simply a case of replacing the relay, I'd rather do it myself than pay extortionate amount of money for Jeep to do it.

Any ideas ...

Kimbo

BFJeep 13-10-2020 10:42 AM

Hi Kimbo,

There is an Omron Relay that would be mounted to the front of the engine bay near the ECU. If you look at the TIPM (fuse box) to the top left closest to the wheel side and windscreen there is a large bolt and there will be an orange cable leading onto the bolt. This is typical but might be a different color depending on who installed the bypass relay. I have posted a link to an image of what to look for? http://www.verticalvisions.com/pub/m...ron_g8jn-8.jpg

BFJeep 17-11-2020 07:32 AM

Hi Kimbo,

Did you manage to find out if your external relay has been updated?

Fossicking Matt 03-11-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFJeep (Post 1666017)
Hi Kimbo,

There is an Omron Relay that would be mounted to the front of the engine bay near the ECU. If you look at the TIPM (fuse box) to the top left closest to the wheel side and windscreen there is a large bolt and there will be an orange cable leading onto the bolt. This is typical but might be a different color depending on who installed the bypass relay. I have posted a link to an image of what to look for? http://www.verticalvisions.com/pub/m...ron_g8jn-8.jpg

Hi Thank you for all this information, our Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel 2012-2013 Limited Edition , was starting for a few seconds, and occasionally was working. Changed the Fob Batteries, Changed the 2012 Car Battery, Reset the Security, Reset Fobs. Did so much research. Found this awesome easy information. & also found today that the Recall fit out ones Omron were faulty. purchased a $12.00 relay switch. Couldn't get the original one that put it on recalled. Got a Bosch standard Relay Switch from Jaycar. Waited a few minutes and has worked. Hope this helps someone else out. Addition to this post, After starting for two days it started again.
We still had the issue further research we found there was a Second Recall on Jeep which stated 2014-2020 however this was the fix for the first one its for all Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel & Petrol 2011-2013. We never received the recall notice. Now will book in next week. Here is the link https://www.vehiclerecalls.gov.au/recalls/rec-000739