AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Diff rebuild or Second Handy (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148996)

Grippy 14-06-2017 07:04 PM

Diff rebuild or Second Handy

So it seems my front diff is cooked, I've read a ton about rebuilding these things, it seems doable as long as I leave the shims in the right order and set pinion preload with crushing the sleeve enough. It seems the wj diff is similar to the Ford 9" and set mainly by pinion preload with the sleeve.
Rebuild kit is around the 120 mark delivered, plus I'd need an in lb torque wrench.

OR

Grab a second handy axle from a wreck, there's one with the same ratio near here and possibly another one about an hour away. So I'd have no idea on condition, could last a while or bite the big one quickly

Opinions please fellow Jeepers

Sockeye 14-06-2017 07:51 PM

If you do the work yourself, have time and inclination to gamble and get the donors for little money or free- there is a room for a second option.

Anything less - I'd go with the rebuild.

Grippy 14-06-2017 08:23 PM

Yep it would be tough to get too cheap, most people want a fortune for things.

I would most definitely be doing the work myself as I hate paying for shit I can do, and I get to buy a few new tools. Im leaning towards the rebuild as at least then I know what's inside the thing

Sent from under my Grand Cherokee

skipperau 14-06-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grippy (Post 1613232)
So it seems my front diff is cooked, I've read a ton about rebuilding these things, it seems doable as long as I leave the shims in the right order and set pinion preload with crushing the sleeve enough. It seems the wj diff is similar to the Ford 9" and set mainly by pinion preload with the sleeve.

Rebuild kit is around the 120 mark delivered, plus I'd need an in lb torque wrench.

OR

Grab a second handy axle from a wreck, there's one with the same ratio near here and possibly another one about an hour away. So I'd have no idea on condition, could last a while or bite the big one quickly

Opinions please fellow Jeepers

Rebuild is the go, at least then you know everything is in good nick, you won't need to look at it again except to change the oil.

Doug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grippy 15-06-2017 06:46 AM

My thoughts too, all I need to find is an in lb torque wrench and a brass punch for the pinion bearing races and I should be good to go.
I have a couple of weeks off coming up so hopefully get it done straight away and I can get out camping and wheeling.
I've missed 2 trips due to the diff, one with mates down to the Coorong for some awesome beach driving and the Border Track last week 😓

Tyvokka 15-06-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grippy (Post 1613268)
My thoughts too, all I need to find is an in lb torque wrench and a brass punch for the pinion bearing races and I should be good to go.
I have a couple of weeks off coming up so hopefully get it done straight away and I can get out camping and wheeling.
I've missed 2 trips due to the diff, one with mates down to the Coorong for some awesome beach driving and the Border Track last week 😓

Yeah, rebuild it.

Breaking stuff at home is much better than getting stuck out on the trails. :)

Grippy 15-06-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyvokka (Post 1613270)
Yeah, rebuild it.

Breaking stuff at home is much better than getting stuck out on the trails. :)

Haha, that's the problem , usually even a simple repair means breaking something else 👍