AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   re-gearing the CRD JK (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143453)

Big-red 10-04-2016 01:20 PM

re-gearing the CRD JK

I have a 2008 CRD JKU with the 3.21 diff ratios. My Jeep is set up as a capable tourer -- not a rock crawler. In low range, I have yet to experience any serious issues with it. The problem is high range. I moved from Melbourne to Hobart and Hobart is *steep as*. So often handbrake starts are a struggle. And 6th is almost useless since there are very few stretches of 110 km/h on our charming little island and none that are flat for more than a couple of kays! (What were Jeep thinking with those 3.21s anyway?!)

So the question is: do I look for someone wrecking an auto to find the 3.73s or should I shell out the money for 4.11s? I have hopes that someday I'll have a lightweight camper-trailer (like a Patriot or similar at about 750kg). I'm somewhat inclined toward the 4.11 option, but want to hear what folks think.

*If* I go down this track, then it would make sense to think about one or more full replacement lockers. (After all, we're gonna have the diffs ripped apart anyway. If not now, then when, eh?) Maybe the budget will run only to one for the front since the Dana 30's carrier is notoriously weak. Any thoughts on full carrier lockers? I had the ARB air lockers both front and rear on my old Troopy and they never let me down. But I know nothing about the Eaton e-lockers or other alternatives.

Would love to have your thoughts. Value for money is important, of course. And I'm the kind of guy who tends to hang onto a fourbie for a long time. I'd still have my old '88 Troopy except some mongrel stole it!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Big-red 10-04-2016 01:48 PM

Should have said I'm running 285/70/R16 (33's). Don't have any current plans to go bigger, though I suppose I wouldn't want to rule it out.

Snort 10-04-2016 05:30 PM

If there is the slightest thought of going up a tyre size go the 4:11's.

chris0375 10-04-2016 07:03 PM

Are you sure you have 3.21? I thought all 2008 and below had 4.10?

WHHEMI 10-04-2016 07:37 PM

No, only the 07 models had 4.1s, except the rubi of course.
I would be going for 4.1s, it's hardly worth the expence to go 3.73 as there is not enough difference in ratio.

EugeJK 10-04-2016 08:38 PM

I had the ratios changed from stock 3.21 to 3.73 when bought my 08. Turned out perfect for city traffic & highway cruising.
But I'll never go bigger than stock 32" & I tow nothing.
Guess, 4.1 would be sweet for you.

JasperJ 11-04-2016 10:04 PM

Big-Red, do it! I first test drove the 4.10 CRD manual back in 2007 and was hooked. I wanted a Yellow one so put the order in to get what I wanted. The disappointment when they swapped over to the 3.21 was real. I put up with it for a while and then a set of 4.10s came up out of a 2007. When these went in it was amazing to drive it again. It was exactly how I remembered the test drive. Just bear in mind you'll need a new front carrier anyway.