AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Camping suggestions (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Solar panels- ideas (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132059)

Hounds 25-03-2014 10:11 PM

Solar panels- ideas

Hi all,

I am looking at getting some solar cells to charge my Arc Pak which runs the 40L Engel.

Given the Arc Pak can only charge at 6amp/h tops I am looking at either a Waeco 80w 12v 6.67amp kit on sale for $349 while Projecta has a 120w 17.5v 6.86amp kit for $550 RRP at Repco.

Weaco also has a 120w 12v 10amp kit but is that more than is needed?

Does anyone have good stories about ebay buys or any other suggestion

Cheers

Matt

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

layback40 25-03-2014 10:56 PM

Hey Matt.
I have a 10 amp controller I purchased on ebay, same as ebay item 360640504344 . I have not used it yet. I paid about $10 delivered.
My camper has an adsorption fridge that when on 12v uses about 60w ~ 5 amps.
The camper has LED lighting & a small electric water pump. It also has a 600w inverter that doesnt get much use. I am looking for a very small micro wave oven.
I have a 86 size lead acid battery in the camper.
Last year I got a 130w mono crystalline solar panel off ebay, same as item 350909343856 . I paid about $1 per watt for it.
Its been used a few times now. When camping its ok to just move the solar panel during the day so that it always gets maximum sun. Only during the middle of the day with no cloud do you get the full 130w out of it. Have been told that this is the case for all solar panels, rated power only occurs during the middle of a sunny day.
I have found that with the size of the battery it doesnt get into an over charge situation & so I have not seen the need for the controller. I have a multi meter & have kept an eye on the voltage of the battery.
If I had my time over again I would have probably got a 250w panel. That way on cloudy days there would still be adequate power production.
While traveling I have the battery/fridge connected to the car via an Anderson plug. As the camper battery is of the same type of lead acid I dont appear to need an electronic box between them. When stopped, its just easy to unplug the lead from the car & let the camper battery keep the fridge going.
My system is a far cry from what many will recommend, it has worked well for me.

anthonygubbin 26-03-2014 11:30 AM

Yerr I would look at an Ebay set up. For $500 - $600 you could get an awesome set up with a 200w panel with charger included.

Regards A

VooDoo2 26-03-2014 12:37 PM

I used a 190w house panel ($120) and ebay reg ($150) and keep a 80L waeco plus lights and main battery charged. Its on the roofrack on a hinge if required.

piggy 26-03-2014 04:00 PM

we sell quite a lot of them & I borrowed a setup at xmas.
worked great, recharged every thing I needed charged.
but for me they are a pain in the ass.
had to keep on moving them as the sun moved.

have used a small silent inverter generator in the past.
found it easier to use (turn it on in the morn to run fridges & charge battery's go out for the day & turn it off for night to battrys again).
less fragile so easier to transport.

anthonygubbin 27-03-2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piggy (Post 1457245)
we sell quite a lot of them & I borrowed a setup at xmas.
worked great, recharged every thing I needed charged.
but for me they are a pain in the ass.
had to keep on moving them as the sun moved.

have used a small silent inverter generator in the past.
found it easier to use (turn it on in the morn to run fridges & charge battery's go out for the day & turn it off for night to battrys again).
less fragile so easier to transport.

That's what I use. Since a solar set up was going to cost me $500 plus to do it properly. I charge my battery every three days which is not too bad. I don't have electricity where I live so geni it is. And it's just a 900w geni.

Regards A

Big Dave 27-03-2014 07:37 AM

I posted this in response to a Battery pack question in another thread but think might be relevant here too.
I have had the 75ah version for over 4 years in the back of my XJ. We use it mainly for our Waeco 50l fridge which it used to run for 3 to 4 days when propped. I now have a 120w solar panel that we hook up when propped & it keeps the battery topped up indefinitely with daylight only & in full sun goes into float mode in about 2 hours. We also charge Ipads & phones off the Thumper when the solar panel is in full sun. Did this for 4 weeks over Jan with no probs at all. I heve also jump started many cars with flat batteries over the years. Great product I reckon being portable & all.
Oh forgot to add, no DC to DC charger in the car, Just the Waeco Rapps 12 cabling from the car battery. But I think the DC to DC would be good.