AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   The dreaded WK alternator failur! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161938)

bjm 13-12-2023 11:35 AM

The dreaded WK alternator failur!

The dreaded WK diesel alternator failure has suddenely cursed me on our second day in Christchurch NZ. Driving all day yesterday and this morning at our motel started , then everthing started to flash.Tested battery 11.6 alternator near nil.
Rang my mates sparky who will supply ans fit a reputable brand his words! For around $890.00.Didnt have much choice as running around in a cab picking up new alternator .plus special socket was going to cost me heaps.Had a new rectfier kit in the Jeep but due to time constraints the sparky would only fit a new one.!
Just hope that no other parts cactus otherwise a Jeep burial may occurr!
Also appears one of NZs largest motor groups has dropped the Jeep franchise-

FARWEST 13-12-2023 12:37 PM

Well thats a bugger... $1k you didnt need to leave the account for 'non-essential' reasons...ie: beer, bbq and fun...poo

drover 13-12-2023 02:37 PM

Bugga mate, you didn't upset some Kiwi ants who had set up home while you were away................ hope it sorts out easy enough...Yo Ho to your lot also.

chooke 13-12-2023 02:44 PM

#

bjm 14-12-2023 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drover (Post 1694693)
Bugga mate, you didn't upset some Kiwi ants who had set up home while you were away................ hope it sorts out easy enough...Yo Ho to your lot also.

Well when shite happens it happens! No failure sign when I turned it off the night before Glad I was in the motel and not up some Kiwi hobbit hole miles from anywhere.
First time ever had to have a vehicle on a flatbed.!The sparky could only find a listing in the NZ suppliers catalogue for a 180 amp alternator ,said it suited all WK models ..So 180 amp will have to do at present not the 220. Will keep the old alternator and get the new rectifier I have fitted. Geez ,too many electronics in these vehicles,might have to go and find a good XJ like I owned years ago.! Both the ones I had did over 340000 ks with near zilch problems!

bjm 14-12-2023 01:24 PM

Got the vehicle back at 1230 today.Sparky actually said they fitted a 220 amp
alternator .$1100.00 to supply and fit,plus $100.00 tow charge!Big dollars but
very busy guy at this timeof year who made sure we got it back today.If not would have to have booked extra motel nights or even miss the ferry to North Island.Now have the old alternator so will fit the new diode pack some time.
Might have a crack at Jeep NZ as they also issued a recall for the petrol WK
alternator

FARWEST 14-12-2023 01:49 PM

Good to hear the higher rated alt. got fitted...would 'play on your mind' otherwise...looks like the Lobster Thermidor is off the Menu this week....have a dive and catch your own would be my course of action....GOOD LUCK !!!