AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   ESP/BAS Light? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100185)

Sitt 12-10-2010 07:37 PM

ESP/BAS Light?

I have a 2010 JK, whilst driving today the ESP light on the dash suddenly came on by itself and I think another light that said BAS also came on. I pressed the ESP button whilst driving and this seemed to reset the ESP light, anyone know why this would happen and probable cause?

wranglertj 12-10-2010 07:52 PM

Did it stay on or just flicker on?
Is your steering wheel centred whilst driving straight?

SeaComms 12-10-2010 08:18 PM

What were the conditions while driving? Have a good read through the manual as it gives a good explanation of what the lights mean.

Mine will flash on when driving quickly out a driveway and one wheel lifts as I drop through the gutter (stiff Mopar suspension..). Or, if it starts to slide a little in the wet, or if the Jeep's brain 'thinks' its about to slide or roll over it will flash up the warning, probably decrease acceleration and sometimes even apply the brakes to one wheel. Very disconcerting when you plant the foot to pull out of the driveway into a small gap in the traffic, then the damn thing decides its gunna slip so it slows you down... SHEEEESH..

Tycho 13-10-2010 06:02 AM

Mine came on a few months ago just after I had turned off the ESP for a brief time. Went off again but then returned a day or so later. Fixed under warranty- some fault with a relay.

MightyMouse 13-10-2010 08:32 AM

There are a whole series of very legimitate situations where the ESP/BAS warning lamps can be triggered - without indicating any electronic fault.

One that comes to mind for me was some moderately fast 2WD driving on slushy/icy roads. Lots of wheelspin and quite correctly the system didn't like it and dissabled the system. Stayed on for about 20 minutes after getting back on "grippy" terain and then went off. No error codes logged so it definately wasn't a fault.

This is just an example... there are situations where faults occur, but not every event is a fault. reading the DTC's will let you know what's what.

Even misalligned steering will go away after awhile once the steerings corrected. May take a few days / km's. The system has a km/ time based reset capability ( actually suspect its Km's but havent confirmed this ) - if all behaves after a missalignment for a determined time/distance then the system will reset - however a DTC will be logged.

So.... yes the lamps might indicate a genuine fault or can be indicating an "unexpected" driving condition. The DTC's are the true indicators.

Perhaps the dealer just did a reset ( tycho ) and gave you an "explanation" that was quick.

Sitt 13-10-2010 06:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.
The driving conditions were perfect (I'm in Perth so no slushy conditions) I was on the Tarmac so no loose stuff, speed was approx 40kms. Lights and chimes just came on for no apparent reason, will arrange to take the Jeep into the dealer for a checkup.

MightyMouse 14-10-2010 07:13 AM

Read the DTC's...... its a very usefull thing to have an idea what the problem might / actually is.