AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   WJ V8 Engines - common problems? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104033)

owoodland 03-03-2011 09:24 PM

WJ V8 Engines - common problems?

Hi All

I am considering buying a WJ V8 grand cherokee. However, I have seen a number of them with between 160,000 km and 260,000 km with shagged engines (frequently bottom end, I gather).

Is this a common problem and if I get a higher km JGC am I buying a time bomb? I'm not interested in blowing $6k on a recon engine.

I'd be happy with the 6 cylinder as well, I just like all the fruit on the v8 limited.

To quantify what I mean about "a number of them", there are about 16advertised in Perth at the moment and at least 4 of those are described as having engine problems. This is not the first time I have noticed this phenomenon either.

Why can't I find any literature on this?

Does this happen because people overheat them (i.e. simple causes like stuffed hoses or fan clutches causing $$ damage)?

Cheers

Owen

WJeep 04-03-2011 10:15 AM

Owen,

You might be better off doing a search on this. There are a few stories (one being mine needing a replacement engine), however I actually wouldn't say it seems epidemic.

Mine was caused by a radiator letting go, with the possible contributor of me not knowing enough about cars to know what to look for.

Service history etc was up to date - was probably over serviced, but when the radiator went and all the fluid poured out on the road the engine was done before we could slow down and pull over from 100km/h.

Don't know if that helps, but there you go.

owoodland 04-03-2011 04:31 PM

Hmm.... thanks for the response, New2Jeep.
I called up another guy last night (who has 2 for sale, "needing work"), both of them were damaged auction specials but sure enough, one of them has a bottom end noise but still runs.

This certainly seems a bit like a common theme, so I'm surprised/interested that nobody is coming back and saying "oh, sure, happens all the time"!

Anyone else?

bikemat 04-03-2011 04:51 PM

seriously, as already mentioned, search. Nobody's replying because it's been talked about many times.
If not serviced properly, the oil can thicken, block things up and starve the engine of oil.
Others have gone due to radiator failure. It's a plastic core radiator, so as with all makes, will only last about 8years then need replacing. There're low coolant warnings which go ignored for too long in some instances, in others it's a very sudden loss of coolant.
As with all secondhand cars, get one that's been looked after

james79wj4.7 04-03-2011 05:41 PM

hi owoodland were are the ones in perth with engine troubles i just brought one wich over heated and droped number 3 exahust valve seat just finished replacing the heads need a few other bits to finish it of wouldnt mind a complete one for spares

owoodland 05-03-2011 01:33 PM

Ah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikemat (Post 1171272)
seriously, as already mentioned, search. Nobody's replying because it's been talked about many times.
If not serviced properly, the oil can thicken, block things up and starve the engine of oil.
Others have gone due to radiator failure. It's a plastic core radiator, so as with all makes, will only last about 8years then need replacing. There're low coolant warnings which go ignored for too long in some instances, in others it's a very sudden loss of coolant.
As with all secondhand cars, get one that's been looked after

Thanks bikemat, this does actually answer my question now. This reminds me of the old Volvo v6 engine (from about 1976-1990) which ran sweetly when it was perfectly maintained and was a nightmare if not (for that matter, also the Rover alloy v8s). So: regular oil changes and no overheating are a must. When this is OK, engine should be OK.

I appreciate you saying "search", however it's not like I didn't try or I wouldn't ask the question.

So - are the 6 cylinder engines more tolerant to a lack of care?

bikemat 05-03-2011 02:02 PM

Yes, they're a simple old engine - cast iron instead of aluminium etc.
There're many advantages to the V8 though - smoother, more power with similar economy and available in the Limited model. They're really not a troublesome engine - there've been a lot made (they're also used in other vehicles in the USA). Just do the basic checks and you'll be fine - service history, check for coolant leaks/worn hoses etc and don't buy one with a noisy engine