AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Jeep build up (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   CJ7: Dan's 1984 rebuild project (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105346)

dan-cj7 26-04-2011 09:57 AM

CJ7: Dan's 1984 rebuild project

3 Attachment(s)
Another CJ project is underway.

The plan for this build is to keep it as original as possible with some upgrades to improve power and comfort. First plan is to do a 4.0 head swap with MPI replace transmission with NV3550 or AX15 and keep the D300 and axles with new suspension. Then put it back together with all new interior and a soft top. I'm going to get all the old bits repainted/powder-coated and replace anything that is worn or broken. New wiring harnesses and if I'm lucky I'll get cruise control added as well.

Anyone with any tips would be very welcome.

Made some great progress over the long weekend.

whollsee 26-04-2011 10:57 AM

Fast work Dan. How long do you plan to work on it? Interested what paint code you have on your compliance plate. Is it 1E?

dan-cj7 26-04-2011 04:50 PM

The paint is 3K - Cinnamon metallic I believe it's called. The paint on the outside of the body has been resprayed to this darker colour. I haven't seen many the same colour.

The plan is to keep working on it when time and cash permits. It's a spare time project as it's not a vehicle I need to use. I'm going to be shopping for heads and intakes and trannys so I think that may take some time.

whollsee 26-04-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan-cj7 (Post 1184213)
The paint is 3K - Cinnamon metallic I believe it's called. The paint on the outside of the body has been resprayed to this darker colour. I haven't seen many the same colour.

The plan is to keep working on it when time and cash permits. It's a spare time project as it's not a vehicle I need to use. I'm going to be shopping for heads and intakes and trannys so I think that may take some time.

Yeah your roll bar looks like Cinnamon Metallic - 3K [some sources say was a clearcoat finish, which may explain the need for the respray] but your Body exterior looks like Copper Brown Metallic-1E [same as mine] but it was not an '84 colour. What are you gonna go for?

dan-cj7 27-04-2011 08:25 AM

I'm in two minds about the colour right now. As I am not trying to restore it to 100% original I may forgive myself if I change it to something I like better.

dan-cj7 01-05-2011 08:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Has anyone ever tried to do a tie rod flip on a CJ? I was looking at it and the steering stabilizer is hitting the diff. If I flipped the tie rods to the top it would clear the diff and get the steering tucked up a bit higher.

Anyone have any pro's or con's?

Also a pic of where I'm at with the tear down. I'm now going to sort out suspension and if I need to do any welding or cutting on the frame. Otherwise the frame will be almost ready for the sandblaster. Before that I will have to do a bit more research on frame paint. Overall the frame is in great condition. WA sand and dirt everywhere but I should be able to clean it up nice. The good news is there isn't any visible rust.

whollsee 01-05-2011 12:58 PM

Hey Dan I'm planning to and I'd be keen to know of any cons too... In the first pic it looks like your steering stabiliser is longer than stock or stabiliser was extended out too far when attached. If the wheels are straight ahead I would expect to see the stabiliser bracket located 2-3 inches more towards the left wheel. Your wheels might well be turned but can't tell. If you flip you'll need something like these inserts as you probably already know... http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm