AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheres the best spots to drive? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Vic High Country (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112173)

Paul-JK 08-01-2012 10:20 AM

Vic High Country

Hi All,

Hoping to get down to the Vic High Country next month for a week or so but never having been down there before I'm after some advice as to where to go and where to base ourselves. I've seen so many write ups on the place so there's obviously loads of places to go but not really sure where to start.

The better half insists on staying in caravan parks so that she has the facilities so I'm after some suggestions as to a couple of nice caravan parks to stay at that are in good locations to then go out on some day trips.

Thanks in advance for your help.

tcf 08-01-2012 10:37 AM

What sort of facilities mate? I.e. power, toilets, showers...? There are a few decent camping grounds around the Mansfield area with reasonable drop toilets, but no other facilities.

Paul-JK 08-01-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcf (Post 1251301)
What sort of facilities mate? I.e. power, toilets, showers...? There are a few decent camping grounds around the Mansfield area with reasonable drop toilets, but no other facilities.

Yes, all of the above.......power, toilets & showers! Bit of a trade off between me wanting to camp as far away from anybody else as possible and her wanting to stay in a 5 star hotel!

rhysTJ 08-01-2012 11:21 AM

HEMA do a great map of the vic high country its just 4WD tracks but they show fuel stops accommodation caravan park pretty much absolutely everything you need to know! i'll definitely be purchasing one soon, to help plan my trip. i hope your trip goes well! i'm planning on doing the LONG drive over from WA early next year to do the Watagans and the high country, so i'd love to hear of any good trails you recommend after your trip. ;)

i will be going bush though in the good old swag, but i will be staying in hotels in my drive across and before we set off up into the high country.

once again i hope you have a great trip and goodluck!

layback40 08-01-2012 06:00 PM

Bright has some good parks & every convenience you could want. Nice & central to a bit of good wheeling tracks. Surprisingly there is a tourist map you can get at the info place in Bright that shows some of the good tracks. A good day trip is to go up the Buckland valley road, then the Mt Murray north road, have a drive up near the summit of Mt Murray & then across to Mt Selwyn & do the summit track. There a a few interesting bits. Then back track & take the Twins Jeep track out to the Hotham road just near the Dargo turn off. then a leisurely down hill run on the bitumen back to Bright or go up to Hotham for dinner.

timbotrog 23-02-2012 07:15 PM

A trip up tp Craigs Hut

Hi all,
A mate has a 2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara that is completly bog standard. He mentioned going up to Craigs Hut.
I've never done the trip but I want to so i am interested.
I know my GC is a very capable vehicle, but would he be able to get up there and back in one piece?
Any thoughts or suggestions.
Cheers
Tim

layback40 23-02-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbotrog (Post 1265145)
Hi all,
A mate has a 2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara that is completly bog standard. He mentioned going up to Craigs Hut.
I've never done the trip but I want to so i am interested.
I know my GC is a very capable vehicle, but would he be able to get up there and back in one piece?
Any thoughts or suggestions.
Cheers
Tim

Plenty of 2WD's go up there !!