AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Jeep Chat (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   quick question about taking doors off (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115129)

moubrco 19-04-2012 01:47 PM

quick question about taking doors off

now i just joined here and i have been thinking about getting a wrangler for a while but i have a quick question, is it illegal to take doors off of normal trucks and cars? is it only wranglers that its legal to do it with???

Sontssonts 19-04-2012 02:44 PM

generally yes. it is illegal. 'Normal' cars rely on the doors for structural integrity and/or protection from side intrusions.

The doors of a wrangler (i can only comment specifically on my TJ), are not designed to protect in a collision but are only for protection against the elements. My understanding is that they are virtually a hollow shell filled with a lightweight foam for insulation and noise canceling.

In regards to legality, i believe it varies from state to state and most members on here would agree that its very difficult to get a concrete answer. I am from QLD and run safari doors all the time unless i am traveling and i swap to full doors. I personally have not had any problems but i could just be lucky. If you do a search on here, you will find quite a few guys who have attempted to fight fines, and some of them have won but the risk is really up to the driver. There is plenty of documentation to support a case though so good luck with it!

Zen 19-04-2012 02:59 PM

Have been stopped twice in Perth, WA for no doors :( No fine just a warning to put em back on!!! But thats Perth, we go way over the top with all rules...

My opinion, its designed to have the doors off... So take the doors off :)

Kenny1990 19-04-2012 03:13 PM

In Victoria your usually fine as long as u have some form of side mirror. But end of the day it's up to the police no matter what.

alijutt8 19-04-2012 04:11 PM

sounds good to me will come back soon and leave further comments

craigperth 19-04-2012 04:17 PM

Zen what mods do you have? Lift tyres etc??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zen (Post 1278928)
Have been stopped twice in Perth, WA for no doors :( No fine just a warning to put em back on!!! But thats Perth, we go way over the top with all rules...

My opinion, its designed to have the doors off... So take the doors off :)

Zen 19-04-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigperth (Post 1278954)
Zen what mods do you have? Lift tyres etc??

2.5" lift, Old Man Emu shocks (yellow), ARB Diff Covers (red), ARB back and front bars (orange knuckles on front), 35" Cooper TTS c/w spare... Think that’s it really... Oh and depending on weather i have full doors or trail doors!! Oh and halogen headlights and extreme spots (2x)...

Added colours in case u looking for me :) Also got softop on