AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Looking to buy a WH CRD - Recomendations Pls (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116295)

jeeptrout 05-06-2012 06:54 PM

Looking to buy a WH CRD - Recomendations Pls

Guys,

I'm currently driving a KJ Cherokee CRD and due to a growwing family, I need a bigger car.

I hear the WH is a good car with the Merc 3.0 engine. Can anyone tell me what to look out for when buying a WH? Is there a particular model that is better that the other?

Also - how does the centre diff lock work? It says in some specs I'm looking at that the centre diff is a slip. Can someone shed some light?

The other car I'm looking at is the Discovery 3 - with air springs and 7 seats it's a reasonable option.

Also - it's workth noting that I have some heavy towing requirements - 23" boat with 3,000 fuelled weight. Hence the air spring levelling on the Disco is a favoured option.

Your advise please folks!

elliotbirch93 06-06-2012 01:27 PM

If your looking at towing heavy loads with the WH (which i do) it is highly recommended that you replace the springs, the standard ones are very soft. Look into Stu at Murchison Products for this, he does a 2.5-3" lift. Might wanna also look at chip but thats mainly just for the economy cos the car has a fair amount of power already!

johnv 09-06-2012 08:00 PM

Yep ditto to that, I also tow heavy loads, on a fairly constant basis, have found the heavy duty ARB/OME both front and rear, regardless of wether you have a bullbar or not, to be the answer. It will give you around 40mm to 50mm lift.

Stu from Murchison Products has a good setup and proven suspension system also, he has his own website.

Also add a set of PolyAir bags or similar to help level the vehicle, if you're planning to tow long distances constantly.

I traded up from a KJ, best thing I ever did, if you're looking at used, see if you can get some aftermarket warranty, parts can be expensive.

ALDEN 10-06-2012 09:51 AM

Hi all, sorry to hijack your question, I have a WH and tow 2.6 tonnes and would like to fit air lift bags.
Jhonv question is are these air bags ADR approved for the WH.
Alden

johnv 10-06-2012 01:20 PM

G'day Alden, my system was fully installed by an ARB dealer. Both ARB and PolyAir or the other brands for that matter cannot supply a product without submitting and complying for ADR certification - but you're asking the wrong person - speak to the manufacturers

briteway 10-06-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeptrout (Post 1291088)
I hear the WH is a good car with the Merc 3.0 engine. Can anyone tell me what to look out for when buying a WH? Is there a particular model that is better that the other?

Also - how does the centre diff lock work? It says in some specs I'm looking at that the centre diff is a slip. Can someone shed some light?

WH's = awesome! Front and rear eaton lockers on both CRD's and HEMI's, here's how they work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpiF...c&feature=plcp

pmac 11-06-2012 07:05 PM

Mate - tried to PM you, but not allowed to for some reason. Give me a yell if you want a 2008 Black Limited CRD with sunroof and 90,000 kms on it. Will accept $36k. Closest equivalent today on Car Sales is $39k. I have HD springs for it but not fitted yet, as I've never had it offroad. Excellent condition. Cheers.