AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   K & N air filter for diesel 06 commander (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116654)

06commander 19-06-2012 08:22 PM

K & N air filter for diesel 06 commander

Who is running one and what improvements have you seen?
Does anyone have the part # for it?
What other things do you guys suggest to help with power and economy?

roscoea26 20-06-2012 08:14 AM

06commander,
Have a look on the K&N web site. I believe the part no. is 33-2420. I have a Grand with the same engine 3.0l merc, I believe.

I have a K&N in mine but the part no. is different 33-2233 perhaps the airbox in the commander is slightly different and requires a different size filter.

You will find the engine breathes better. To compliment the easier breathing I have a straight thru exhaust. Also have an oil catch can to protect the swirl motor and provide a cleaner intercooler and engine combustion chamber.

You should find that any turbo lag will be eliminated and there should be a slight improvement in fuel consumption. Mine generally averages 9.5 l p/100k at 100k p/hr. There will also be a noticeable gain in power, torque and acceleration.

Hope this helps.

06commander 20-06-2012 08:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, wasnt sure if usa commander had same airbox as australian model.
Will buy one and fit in.
Where did you get exhaust and what was it worth?
Are the chips and plug ins worth the money?

cheers

Maxfli113 20-06-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDSTU
Interesting and by the way fellow Commander owner, our latest GDE Flash tune for the Commander's has the swirl motor turned off as does the WH one.

For Commander owner's we can now do a DPF delete option as well

Updated flashes can be had for $110 incl GST plus postage.

R
Stu

This information above is from another thread below this in the main menu, about Turbo issues. I have just had the GDE Flash done on my Commander through Stu. The car runs perfectly, plenty of torque (Now approx 662Nm) but would like to get that checked as the extra came as an estimate from completing flash (software). Also I guess I won't have to install an oil catch can as this flash has bypassed the swirl motor?? :D

roscoea26 23-06-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06commander (Post 1294562)
Thanks for the reply, wasnt sure if usa commander had same airbox as australian model.
Will buy one and fit in.
Where did you get exhaust and what was it worth?
Are the chips and plug ins worth the money?

cheers

For the exhaust all I did was get rid of the big baffled original and fitted a straight through. I had a local exhaust business do it, the fellow who runs it is pretty good. We tried 4 mufflers, numbered them and tested each one and picked the one that gave best performance/sound after test drives.

The brand he uses is Mercury Mufflers. The one that gave the best performance had a 5 degree offset from straight. The Jeep mechanic where I had it serviced at the time estimated I had gained around 5% in kW and torque.

Didn't cost me that much was only a few hundred $ from memory.

I haven't chipped mine yet but I am thinking about it I like the sound of the Green Diesel one Stu is selling.

multihull 24-06-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfli113 (Post 1294570)
Quote:
The car runs perfectly, plenty of torque (Now approx 662Nm) but would like to get that checked as the extra came as an estimate from completing flash (software). :D

662Nm WOW that's huge. I also have Stu's Flash Tune and it works great but how did you get this estimate on the Nm torque?

I thought I'd have torque approaching 600Nm up from the stock spec of 510Nm.

I'm off to get my exhaust done in the next few weeks.

Maxfli113 24-06-2012 11:15 AM

First up, I thought these had stock spec of 550Nm and Stu estimated extra + or - 112Nm with Flash Tune? Unless I wasn't listening corectly. So to give the benefit of the doubt, that is why I would like to get tested so that I would know for sure but getting it tested would only be so that it was factual and on a piece of paper.

The car does everything I need and most of that is pulling my van and hauling equipment around for my day job. If it is 600Nm + or - it doesn't really matter too much to me as I am really happy with these Commanders and the motor they have. :D I just hope that it lasts and lasts for a long time like my old Prado did (480,000 kms - Petrol - No work to Motor) then sold it

As I do around or over 1,000kms per week travelling with it.....