AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   WH Brakes and Rotors (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116948)

briteway 01-07-2012 01:02 PM

WH Brakes and Rotors

Hi guys,

I was thinking of buying a new set of brakes and rotors for my WH. I need some advice from your own experience as to which way to go. Tried search but couldn't find anything on WH's. What would be the best brand in your opinion? I checked RockAuto and they have a variety and priced pretty good.

Also in terms of rotors, getting them from the US, shipping is a killer. It works out around $700 for all four (cheapest in the high performance section) on RA. Is there any place here that we could get them cheaper??? I am only enquiring about the rotors to compare the cost between machining and purchasing new ones. Also, one day I might need to replace them anyway. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Troutman 01-07-2012 01:40 PM

Locally sourced DBA rotors are fine mate, probably run to just on $500 ish tops.

fester 01-07-2012 01:55 PM

Why not check out DBA slotted rotors over here. Pretty much the best brand on offer in Aus and you can get them just about anywhere - Pedders, Supercheap, Autobarn etc. Not sure on price but at $700 I pretty sure they would be around that. Slotted tend to offer better performance than standard, some argue that they are not perfect offroad as mud and grit can get trapped in the slots but I think that's pretty rare and I've never had a problem. DBA do a higher performance range than their standard slotted range and I think they are the 4000 series but they are a fair bit dearer again.

RDA possibly do one as well and they are cheaper than DBA but generally not as good, although still acceptable.

Do not go with cross drilled, they are not good for a street vehicle, only track. They take longer to warm up and hence braking initially and each time they cool can be a bit marginal especially depending on pad selection. Also the rotors can start to crack between the holes, an issue on the road based on the life span of the rotor but not on the track as they get replaced more often.

I had the DBA slotted with Bendix 4wd pads in my Cruiser and it made a huge difference over the standard set up and sometimes you can get them on special at Supercheap.

Hanna 01-07-2012 02:11 PM

G'day mate, I am just about to replace my front rotors and I sourced them from this eBay seller:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jeep-Gran...item25685a2b77

The rotors are the basic RDA slotted, which are essentially the same as the DBA in the same price range, but cheaper. In fact, the research I did indicated that the quality of the RDA rotors in this price range is better than the DBA because they actually manufactured by their own factory, albeit in China. The equivalent DBA's manufacturing is outsourced - also in China.

To step up to something of higher quality (possibly still Australian manufactured - but may also have moved offshore by now) you would have to go to the RDA Gold series (or DBA equivalent 4000 Series?):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GRAND-CHE...item20c2bf108e

I suppose it just depends how much money you would like to spend.

FYI - I have not been able to test my RDA's yet, but the guy from Rapid RS was good to speak to and more than willing to offer advice over the phone if you feel like giving him a call. And I priced the exact same rotors at Repco just out of interest and they wanted around $200 per rotor!! :shock:

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
Hanna

drj33p 01-07-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briteway (Post 1297094)
Hi guys,

I was thinking of buying a new set of brakes and rotors for my WH. I need some advice from your own experience as to which way to go. Tried search but couldn't find anything on WH's. What would be the best brand in your opinion? I checked RockAuto and they have a variety and priced pretty good.

Also in terms of rotors, getting them from the US, shipping is a killer. It works out around $700 for all four (cheapest in the high performance section) on RA. Is there any place here that we could get them cheaper??? I am only enquiring about the rotors to compare the cost between machining and purchasing new ones. Also, one day I might need to replace them anyway. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Briteway,

How many K's has it done?

I have done 100,000k's and my fronts still have 8mm on the pads and rotors are fine, my rear pads replaced at 90,000k's and they did machine the rotors (not that they needed doing) pads and machining $157.
I think maybe 150,000+ before fronts need looking at, and then should only be pads.

Yet in my WG fronts replaced at 60,000k's (pads and rotors) and the rears at 80,000k's (again both pads and rotors)

briteway 01-07-2012 03:20 PM

Thanks for your responses people, much appreciated.

Fester, I was thinking of going without the slots or holes as I do regular 4WD-ing and sh!t gets stuck in the brakes already.

DBA sounds good though. Couldn't find any Bendix pads suitable for my WH on eBay Australia. Checking by the catalogue, the part number is DB1936 and they're $200+ for one set. So looks like RA is the way to go. I'm looking at getting BENDIX Part # MKD1080FM for fronts and BENDIX Part # RD1087 for rears. All up around $150 including shipping.

What do you guys reckon? Here's the page I'm looking at and if you have any suggestions/opinions, I'll appreciate it: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1684

briteway 01-07-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drj33p (Post 1297121)
Hey Briteway,

How many K's has it done?

I have done 100,000k's and my fronts still have 8mm on the pads and rotors are fine, my rear pads replaced at 90,000k's and they did machine the rotors (not that they needed doing) pads and machining $157.
I think maybe 150,000+ before fronts need looking at, and then should only be pads.

Yet in my WG fronts replaced at 60,000k's (pads and rotors) and the rears at 80,000k's (again both pads and rotors)

Hi drj33p, It's done 90K and brakes still look OK but the front pads are getting very thin. As I am buying some parts from RA, I thought to combine in some brakes for the near future and to compare it to local prices to see if it's worth doing so.