AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   lockers (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118369)

Green Goblin 25-08-2012 09:46 AM

lockers

I now it has been done before but still confused sorry for my ignorance:-)
I am looking at putting lockers on but my buget only allows 1 at this stage, the question is front or back.
Do I do front and regear as the D30 is quite week or go back and dont bother with regearing.
I have a petrol manual swb and running 265/70 17 and will go to a 285/70 in the future.
I do abit of mud and go to landcruiser park regularily.
The other question is arb or elockers any experience with lockers would be appreciated as I havent made up my mind on what locker as yet
Thanks

Magnum PI 25-08-2012 09:59 AM

I would love the same advice, have heard all sorts of storys of ARB reliabillity and the El lockers are pretty expensive, was qouted $2000 each diff, what about Detroit lockers??
i run a auto, and have been told to run 4.8 ration with supercharger??

yetiboy01 25-08-2012 10:14 AM

Value for money , reliability & ease of use you can't go past a Detroit or Grizzly locker in the back, you won't be disappointed, no silly switches to switch & to forget or compressor lines to leak or fail as they are active all the time.
If your gong to 285 Tyres I suggest you regear to at least 4:10 at the time of fitting your locker to save yourself having to get the diffs pulled down again a later date

You can only fit the Detroit to the rear as fitting to the front could give you steering issues, correct me if I'm wrong here

In running a Detroit in the back & elocker in the front, a great combination

Clockwork Orange 1983 CJ8 work in progress,

Red 2009 JKU Auto V6
Sprintex Super Charger from JeepFord

BlackBox 25-08-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black thunder (Post 1310737)
I now it has been done before but still confused sorry for my ignorance:-)
I am looking at putting lockers on but my buget only allows 1 at this stage, the question is front or back.
Do I do front and regear as the D30 is quite week or go back and dont bother with regearing.
I have a petrol manual swb and running 265/70 17 and will go to a 285/70 in the future.
I do abit of mud and go to landcruiser park regularily.
The other question is arb or elockers any experience with lockers would be appreciated as I havent made up my mind on what locker as yet
Thanks

Hey im in the exact same boat! I will be keeping a close eye on this thread.

Grahame 25-08-2012 12:47 PM

If you're only buying one locker I would put it in the rear. You need it most going up hill and the weight transfers to the rear as you tilt the front of the car up.

CRDSTU 25-08-2012 02:22 PM

I'd personally never recommend or install an eaton e-locker or EZY locker ever again, seen too many troubles with them, very unreliable in my eyes and experience.

I cant stand Detroits either, they're alwasy bindy and wear your tyres out on road to quickly not to mention cause dramatic understeer with live axle vehicles, and the shorter the wheelbase the worse it becomes.

We only use, sell and isntall ARB lockers. If installed correctly they're faultless. Seen a few botched installs too. Dana diffs are finiky at the best of times. Another good feature of of the ARB is the completely new casing and planetary or spider gears, much stronger than stock. Lunchbox lockers are also cheap and nasty, seen plenty of those implode.....

IF my budget was only for 1 locker I'd also do the front, as you mainly need traction in the front end when traversing up hill as the front end is unloaded and struggles for grip, the weight transfer in the rear is usually enough to provide good grip as long as you've got good wheel travel.

ozjeepster 25-08-2012 03:11 PM

My 1st 94 Xj had ARB's in both ends and as far as I know are still going well 12 years later , in my last 01 Xj I fitted up the Eaton E-Lockers and thought they were great untill I grabbed a hand full of switch with front still slowly rotating and BOOM it went up like a grenade , the 3 lock pins or slides didn't cope well at all lol so my new JK has ARB's in both ends again as long as yourself or your installer use a housing spreader to fit them you will never have any dramas ARB's in my opinion are far superior in strength & longevity ;)