AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Are Duratracs worth the extra cash? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125120)

minmark 10-05-2013 08:08 PM

Are Duratracs worth the extra cash?

Been chasing some more slightly aggressive than usual AT's but really don't want to go down the muddies path as I don't want the car to do that sort of stuff. It's more for touring.
I have a set of DC FCII which are great except they are now virtually impossible to get (31")
I have looked around for other brands
MT 4ribs don't come in 15"
Cooper ST maxx don't come in 15" and ST's have their probs.

Most other bigger brands don't have a aggresive enough tyre.
I have looked at the ProComp Xteme AT but do I want a directional tyre?
and are the Xtreme MT overkill. Does anyone have these?

I am not interested in the cheap crappy brands as Toyo, Hancock, Feds etc as I want these to go 80 thou k's.

So have looked at the Duratracs but they certtainly ain't cheap (well not in Aus anyway)

Are they worth it. A bit of googling reckons they may well be.
Any other users?:confused:

SeaComms 10-05-2013 09:54 PM

They are the next thing on my to-be-purchased list. The yanks rave about them, but then they aren't dear as poison over there. Will prob end up buying them form the US with some new rims already fitted (to save shipping space) and shipping over here with USAtoAUS.com. Will work out to about the same price as tyres only purchased locally.

MidnightMods 10-05-2013 10:05 PM

I have pro comp mt Extremes, on my 2nd set now. They are not cheap, a little soft (which is good for road use) and they are tri ply so they are strong. They do not bother me on the road and are very good in off road and mud. They may make a little bit of man noise on the road but I drive a jeep not a E-class.

Raisins78 10-05-2013 10:26 PM

Dick Cepek now sold exclusively by Bob Jane.

thisisadu 10-05-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minmark (Post 1380812)

I am not interested in the cheap crappy brands as Toyo, Hancock, Feds etc

I didnt know toyo's were cheap crappy brands?
I always thought toyo's like their open country M/T and their track tyres like the proxes were VERY good tyres and are just expensive?

LSE3.9 11-05-2013 07:05 AM

I too did a double take at the mention of Toyos as being a "cheap crappy" tyre Thisisadu.

I have a set of Toyo ATs fitted to my Range Rover and find them to be fantastic. I can feel the tyre rubber cushioning the ride which is very different experience when compared to other tyre brands I have previously fitted. I'd like to fit a set to my Wrangler and sooner rather than later so I probably won't wait until the factory fitted Silent Armour Wranglers wear out.

No idea on longevity with the Toyos yet and I haven't had any stone punctures. This resistance/imperviousness to stone punctures is a major requirement with any tyres I purchase.

TOIIIIIIIOJ 11-05-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minmark (Post 1380812)
Been chasing some more slightly aggressive than usual AT's but really don't want to go down the muddies path as I don't want the car to do that sort of stuff. It's more for touring.
I have a set of DC FCII which are great except they are now virtually impossible to get (31")
I have looked around for other brands
MT 4ribs don't come in 15"
Cooper ST maxx don't come in 15" and ST's have their probs.

Most other bigger brands don't have a aggresive enough tyre.
I have looked at the ProComp Xteme AT but do I want a directional tyre?
and are the Xtreme MT overkill. Does anyone have these?

I am not interested in the cheap crappy brands as Toyo, Hancock, Feds etc as I want these to go 80 thou k's.

So have looked at the Duratracs but they certtainly ain't cheap (well not in Aus anyway)

Are they worth it. A bit of googling reckons they may well be.
Any other users?:confused:

Used to contract for a tyre company and theses are what mining vehicles manly asked for, and now I'm part of mining these are manly what I see.