AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Diff cover /oil (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125918)

ab56452001 11-06-2013 03:37 PM

Diff cover /oil

Hi i have a slght oil drip from my rear diff , so i thought i might aswell change the lubricant while i reseal the cover , which is were the slight drip comes from . As ive never done this before can someone please tell me what the best Rtv to use is ? , and which oil/ friction modifier to use ? , cheers.

mopar madness 11-06-2013 05:15 PM

I used permatex blue on m,y covers,diff oil I used Castrol saf-xa.when I bought my wj I noticed a slight whine in the front diff so when I changed my diff oils not long after I bought it I also put in nulon g70 treatment and after about 1,000km's the whine disappeared so from what I have personaly done I would totally recommend that combo.
I have noticed no bad effects from running the nulon g70 in the diffs at all and I have now done 27,000 km's since I put it in.

ab56452001 11-06-2013 06:35 PM

Thanks for the tips , ive got some Permatex no-2 non hardening sealant at home , was'nt sure if i needed a hardening or non , the stuff on there now looks orangey sort of , cheers.

mopar madness 11-06-2013 06:44 PM

I know the stuff your talking about as I have some but its not suited to this type of use.the permatex stuff I used is a hard setting rtv silicone for the diffs,i used the blue.you can get it and stuff similar from superthief etc.

turbomart 11-06-2013 07:00 PM

Yeah permatex is no good, need a silicon based sealant with acetic acid cure.
Make sure you give it a couple hours to cure before refilling.
Try without friction modifier and use non lsd oil first, if its noisey use 1/2 recommended fm.

mopar madness 11-06-2013 07:14 PM

I find when fitting stuff like the diff cover,put the slastic etc on then slightly tighten until the slastic etc just squeezes out.leave it for say and hour then tighten to the desired tightness,this way it dosent squeeze all the slastic out like it would do if you simply tightened it straight away.

ab56452001 11-06-2013 07:17 PM

Thanks for replies , yes the one ive got is no good , as some suggested grey/right stuff seems to be the go , bloke at Sprint Auto Parts sold me an 85-140 Penrite suitable for lsd , 24$ for 2.5 liters , ill give it a go , cheers.