AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   WK2 diesel engine braking (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129226)

silverfox1111 07-11-2013 06:09 PM

WK2 diesel engine braking

Gday everyone
How would those with a WK2 diesel describe the engine braking when going down hills?
When I am going down a hill & trying to control speed I will change down to 4th or 3rd. Going to 4th does very little if anything & using 3rd has it revving its tits of with still not enough speed control & still needing to ride the brakes.
I've had automatic petrol cars with better engine braking than the Jeep whitch surprises me cause I would have thought a diesel engine would provide more engine braking.
Thanks
Silverfox1111

russell w 07-11-2013 07:14 PM

Hi Silverfox. I noticed the same thing coming from a manual pajero diesel. I do use 3rd and 2nd and even 1st gear. 2nd does give some decent braking, the car is a lot higher geared than the pajero and the torque converter does slip a bit. It does rev to around 4 grand at 80k in 2nd but that's ok for me. It won't change down unless the computer thinks it's ok. regards Russell

scarps 07-11-2013 09:18 PM

WK2 diesel engine braking

I usually find the engine/gearbox doesn't shift down until it hits just over 125/130kmh. Usually when it's finally at the bottom of the hill, in an 80kmh zone.
I just feather the brakes.

drover 08-11-2013 04:47 AM

Your not alone my 2.7 is the same, have to knock it down a couple to hold it back and still touch the brakes, my old petrol had better braking, need an exhaust brake.

layback40 08-11-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drover (Post 1426519)
Your not alone my 2.7 is the same, have to knock it down a couple to hold it back and still touch the brakes, my old petrol had better braking, need an exhaust brake.

Hey drover!
I can see it now!
You sneak up behind some unsuspecting individual & hit the jake brake & scare the crap out of them as they look for the truck that they think is about to go over the top of them !! :D:monkey::monkey::-?

drover 08-11-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layback40 (Post 1426545)
Hey drover!
I can see it now!
You sneak up behind some unsuspecting individual & hit the jake brake & scare the crap out of them as they look for the truck that they think is about to go over the top of them !! :D:monkey::monkey::-?

Oh yeah..............:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D probably blow the manifold off the damn thing,.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

BazzaC 08-11-2013 02:52 PM

I found the engine braking less than I was used to in the KK.
But if I touch the brakes a couple of times the tranmission automatically goes down a gear or two and it holds speed well on a down grade. Maybe its an 8 speed thing.