AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   TJ Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Loss of power towing (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131114)

Gianni 10-02-2014 06:00 AM

Loss of power towing

Hey there. I have this issue where I suddenly have a massive loss in power. Happened once last year when towing back from camping during the day. Didnt happen when heading up though. Over xmas went camping. Left at night and no issue. On the way back it was fine till about 100km from home where you would splutter anything over 2000rpm with a fair amount of throttle. But then it cleared up.

On the weekend drove out to ballarat. After an hour and a half it happened again and couldnt get over 80km coz any decent throttle would cause it to back fire. Sometimes putting it into neutral and giving it a rev clears it up for a little bit. Or pulling over and letting it sit for a little and idle helps. Revs fine and would drive fine without load of a trailer. On my way home it drove fine just did it once. I drive the car daily and only have this issue when towing over long distances.

When I give it a lot of gas it decreases in revs. But if I pop it into neutral I csn rev it as much as I want

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Yank 10-02-2014 10:09 AM

Had a similar situation years ago with a Mazda 626 where it would lose power, backfire, sputter, and basically just run like crap on a long drive.

It turned out to be the catalytic convertor. Bashed around inside of it with a screwdriver and pulled all the honeycomb out of it and the car ran like a raped ape afterward. (Would never have passed an emissions test, but allowed us to get back home).

Gianni 10-02-2014 10:17 AM

Hmm. But the tj has a post cat sensor so it needs the honeycomb in the cst doesnt it?

kj69 10-02-2014 03:02 PM

Get your cat and exhaust checked for blockage and get whatever needs replacing replaced , gutting a cat for a short term solution is fair but i wouldn't consider it as a permanent fix.

Gianni 10-02-2014 04:33 PM

I got no prpbs gutting cats :p just curious how itll affect my post cat o2 sensor

Gianni 19-02-2014 06:15 AM

So did the same trip this weekend with absolutely no problems at all :s

Hunno 19-02-2014 05:09 PM

Fuel pump is shot