AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Aussie Locker - Auto locker (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140018)

nightram 05-07-2015 09:26 AM

Aussie Locker - Auto locker

I am seriously contemplating getting the Aussie Locker.

But don't know anyone that has ever used that type of locker in a JK.

I have not decided if I will get one or two. Whether I will do the front or rear first. I have read that if I only do the front it will only engage when in 4wd. Which seems logical. But don't you get more benefit from the rear being locked?

$289 USD each seems reasonable to me. As I do not need an Air or e-locker. In two years I will sell the car and throwing an extra 2k at it with no increase in car value seems a waste.

NTRubicon 05-07-2015 11:03 AM

289 is just the purchase price. Throw on the installation, wiring, switch and it's probably easier to just lower tyre pressure, take a different line, or use the loud pedal and a bit of momentum to overcome whatever a locker will make easier

A friend of mine has the Aussie locker and he loves it though. Another option is Detroit locker, but those are better in the rear only I think

Mals-JK 05-07-2015 11:19 AM

try the search button for info, lockers been done to death

nightram 05-07-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTRubicon (Post 1538520)
289 is just the purchase price. Throw on the installation, wiring, switch,

No wiring or switch, and I can install myself.

MightyMouse 05-07-2015 01:56 PM

Not a fan of mechanical ockers in the front but each to their own.

LeighP 05-07-2015 03:14 PM

People say they make steering harder in the front, but we have power steering, I don't think thats a huge issue.
A locker like the Aussie (or Lockrite or Powertrax.....all work the same way) won't lock unless the diff is being driven by the drive shaft...so it'll only work in 4WD.
If you have D30 front, then be careful, as people have reported breakages associated with giving it heaps....
In the rear, a mechanical locker will tend to make the car a bit twitchy, depending on how harsh the lock/unlock is. You'll get a "clack" sound coupled with a twitch as you transition from trailing throttle to opening throttle as you go around a round-a-bout.....but you get used to that, just be smooth on the throttle in the wet. A JKU will be less twitchy than a JK with a rear mechanical locker, due to the extra wheelbase.

superchicken 05-07-2015 03:38 PM

I put one in 1 1/2 years ago and have been happy with it so far. Its great out wheeling and only makes noise in tight turns if your going real slow, Parking lots etc.
I have a diesel JKU and for the price am quite satisfied.