AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Bullbar fabrication (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141660)

Tog 10-11-2015 01:31 PM

Bullbar fabrication

Apologies if this has been covered before nothing came up in search. I am looking to fab my own front bar simply coz i can't find one for sale without spending $2000 + . Curious about compliance both from a point of insurance and coping a fine from TMR or such. Does anyone know how to gi about certification and compliance on this type of thing.

2004 KJ Limited 3.7l

fester 10-11-2015 04:00 PM

Even if you can get a bar approved as a one off fabrication I think you will find it ends up far more than the cost of buying one. Especially if things like your crumple zones etc don't pass with first test and you have to pay more than once. The shape of the bar is easy, there are guidelines in the applicable ARD's and it's not complicated. It will be the crumple zones and airbag compliance with the mounts that will cost you big dollars.

Tog 10-11-2015 04:12 PM

That is my main concern

2004 KJ Limited 3.7l

rang0 11-11-2015 05:31 AM

You can get the info of the requirements on the net to be in regulation. To be with in regulation it does not mean its tidy just as long as it complys with the info. On the other hand how often do people look at bull bars? If the insurance companies were concerned about a bull bar they will ask for a compliance certificate when you indicate that you have a bull bar. The only thing I'll be worried about being to comply is if I was to run someone over. You need your top bar to lean backward so if you hit someone they would be drawn up on the bonnet rather than under the tyres so stingers will be cop bait. Other than that just don't people over:D

rang0 11-11-2015 05:41 AM

Most bars that you can buy are not compliant the only ones that would will be made in aus

Sent from my HUAWEI Y530-U051 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Wooders 11-11-2015 09:25 AM

Complying with the ADR also means complying with Aust Standards and these are not as readily available on the net unless you pay. Then there's slightly different rules per state its pretty crap can of worms.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

chris0375 11-11-2015 10:19 AM

Until you read in the fine print it is for "offroad use only". Nice little get out clause for those companies importing non compliant bars.

I have a mopar bar on my jk and there is no sticker anywhere on it.

But yes, good post, I agree with everything you say.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk