AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Scangauge and fuel usage (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141843)

Pete_79 27-11-2015 06:03 AM

Scangauge and fuel usage

I've got a 2013 JK with the 3.6 and my fuel usage has just gone bloody terrible.

So I'm wondering how much info you get from a Scangauge and if it will help me diagnose what could be causing the excessive usage before I pay the apprentice at the dealer to plug it in and tell me there are no faults showing.

As above it's a 2013 JK with the 3.6 and it's only done 15,000km.
We've only had it a few months, but the previous owner had it serviced at the dealer 4 times in those 15,000km. The engine is stock apart from a stupid Banks Air ram that the previous owner put on it (and I haven't had time to fit a standard air box and snorkel yet).

I drove it up from Melbourne to Sydney when I bought it and averaged around 13l/100km (or there abouts) in the highway, that was winding out every gear change and stretching it's legs every chance I got. Hey, it was my first drive I had to test it out right? ;)
Until recently we had been getting close to that 13l with city driving too (the misses drives it like a granny and hardly goes over 3,000rpm).

Now for the last 2 tanks of fuel we're only getting about 260-280km per tank or about 19l/100km.

I'm guessing there's a blocked sensor or something throwing out the computer making it dump fuel into it.

I've done a bit of searching around on here a noticed there are some plug in devices that you can use for some tuning, but I don't really want to fiddle, I just want to fault find before I waste money and get lied to by the dealers.

Any advice on the cause of the fuel usage or on the better scanners/apps to look at for diagnostics would be appreciated.

snowing 27-11-2015 08:06 AM

The truth is.. don't trust info from your jeep for anything about fuel economy. Calculate it by hand!
You can note down figures from your jeep and compare with what you calculate by hand for comparison.

You sure that 260~280km per tank as in full tank?! Doesn't sound right at all.

Pete_79 27-11-2015 08:20 AM

Yep, yep and yep.
I don't trust any trip computers, always write down the km by hand (well in notes on my phone anyway) and it was 282km from 58L on the last tank.
Hence the question.....

Nanook 27-11-2015 10:03 AM

When I first hooked up my camper trailer to my 3.8L the computer was telling me for the whole trip up the F3 at 100kph I was using 149L/100kms.

The next time I towed the trailer at the same speed I returned an average of 15L/100km.

Pete_79 27-11-2015 12:01 PM

My searching so far shows;

The 'Scangauge' is hard wired only, with a pretty basic display.

The 'Ultragauge' is wired or Bluetooth. Their website shows they can display lots of possible data with the Bluetooth option, but who knows how many things are actually available out of the JK?

There are heaps of different versions of the 'ELM327' scan tools on eBay. Any recommendations for ones that give lots of data from JKs (more specificity looking for live fuel data)?

Pete_79 28-11-2015 08:36 AM

OK just filled up and I'm shocked.

55.7L for 267.8km
Or 20.8L/100km (calculated by hand ;) )
I'm going to have a good look for leaks in the fuel system and check the obvious sensors. But I'm guessing I'm going to have to book it in to the stealers for diagnostics.

Lucky I did a bit of research on the ELM337 scanners too, most of them don't work with iPhones.

Banshee 29-11-2015 09:01 AM

I'm pretty sure Torque has an iVersion as well as Android, and it will read the data from most of the available OBD2 adaptors.