AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Warning lights: ABS, T/C & ESP/BAS spontaneously flashed up? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142825)

danieljames 21-02-2016 04:09 PM

Warning lights: ABS, T/C & ESP/BAS spontaneously flashed up?

Hey guys, I headed out this morning (2010 JK) and half way up to Lithgow those three lights just flashed up on my dash and made a noise. I was driving regularly on the highway.. no bumps or loss of traction or heavy braking.. they just popped up?!

Shortly after I stopped it for a bit.. started again and still there. Car was driving fine so went off roading. Got stuck in some mud and have another issue i'll do another post about..

The lights never went away and I noticed on my way home that the Cruise Control isn't working either.

Has this ever happened to you? It was hard to tell if my T/C or ABS were working but I don't think so. Tried testing the brakes on the dirt and didn't notice a release but my mate said he saw the wheels unlock on the dirt.. so maybe it was working. But then why no CC?

Anyway, any insight would be helpful before I take it to the shop to steal my next christmas. :-(

Cheers
Dan

Snort 21-02-2016 05:13 PM

Sounds like the clock spring has gone. Do a search there is plenty of info about it.

SeaComms 21-02-2016 05:14 PM

Hey Dan, welcome to the failing clock spring group :)

The clock spring is located behind the steering wheel and monitors the steering wheel position and provides the wiring.connections to the steering wheel controls.

I traded my 2010 a few months ago andnit was on its 3rd clock spring at that stage. Same fault description...

Could also be a wheel speed sensor too, if you can get the codes read it will tell you which it is.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Clarky 21-02-2016 05:22 PM

Wheel speed sensor (or two). When the lights come on it means that you have a faulty sensor & ABS has been disabled along with traction control (your "Brake Lock Differential"). Get your codes read & it will tell you which sensor.
Not expensive & an easy do it your self job.

DarrenR 21-02-2016 05:48 PM

The JK Wrangler is particularly sensitive to mis alignment, as in the wheels, A lot more sensative than a lot of other vehicles that I work on that one might perhaps think would be far more sensative than the truck like JK Wrangler, such as new Range Rovers etc etc. I resolve a lot more of this on the JK just by getting the wheel alignment done properly, as in it does need to be just about spot on.

The biggest cause has been when the vehicle has been somewhere and got "the big lift kit", had "heavy duty u-buet" steering arms etc etc and large tyres, it seems most stuff up the adjustment when they do the alignment badly (well in Perth anyway).

While this doesnt help everyone, I use Bob Jane in Victoria Park (Perth W.A) and have used them for over 20 years and they never have an issue because its a "Jeep" or "Land Rover"

Regards
Daz

Wazza D 21-02-2016 06:29 PM

Strangely enough, I had this problem with mine from new.
At least once a week it would happen but no one seemed to be able to fix it or help me.
After about 6 months I fitted the lift, wheels and tyres. The problem has not occurred once since and that was almost 6 years ago during which time many other bits and pieces have come and gone.
This actually supports what Daz says as the problem was obviously in this area although it was not pinpointed.
There was definitely a disturbance in the force.:rolleyes:

danieljames 21-02-2016 07:12 PM

hmmm interesting.. wonder if it's got to do with a recent gobi rack I put on myself.. or just 6 years and 63,000k's on the clock.

I will take it to the shop for them to sort it out.. hopefully doesn't sound expensive!

thanks for the info