AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   inspection on new wrangler (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143386)

1rocky 05-04-2016 06:49 AM

inspection on new wrangler

hi all
when you have bought your jeep new or second hand .
did you get an inspection done first like nrma.
or just go for it and if any warranty issues just deal with it when they show up.
Also what do you look for prior to signing for your new jeep and driving out the dealership.
thanks everyone

chris0375 05-04-2016 06:57 AM

Unless something is really wrong no inspection will find anything wrong with a new car.

One recent example is excessive corrosion. Pretty easy to spot yourself.

Warranty will cover you for everything one a new vehicle.

Second hand is different. If it is relatively new I wouldn't bother especially if there is no evidence of off road use. Apart from the diesel they are relatively simple cars so I wouldn't be overly stressed.

If you are looking at something that's a few years old it's worth being aware that bushes and ball joints may need doing. Otherwise it's just the usual stuff.

Wazza D 05-04-2016 07:46 AM

I didn't inspect mine when I first bought it, but I inspected it after the first service.
This is what I found:
The sump plug was an old second hand aftre market plug, or one from another vehicle, with an old squashed up aluminum washer on it. The correct one has a synthetic seal on it.
Both hose clamps to the air box were completely loose! They were just dangling. Fortunatly, I found no sign of dust ingress.
All the sway bar links were loose.
What really annoyed me about this was the attitude toward rectification.
I tightened the hoses up before taking it back but left the rest for them.
The service advisor, or whatever they claim to be, asked what was loose. I explained to him about the sway bar links and pointed at the nearest one as an example.
This ONE was the only one they tightend up.:!:
Anyhow that was the last time anyone else apart from me that has touched my Jeep except for a couple of recall issues.
The other thing I did was to disconnect all the electrical plugs and reconnected them using dielectric grease.
I also threw the cheap tin battery terminals in the bin and fitted heavy duty ones feeding bus bars.
It has been six years now with no serous problems.
Although I inspect it myself, I personally think it is worthwhile.

Kiwi Jeeper 05-04-2016 07:58 AM

I visually inspected my wife's new Cherokee at delivery to make sure everything was there and looked clean.

Both my TJ and JK were bought slightly used, but still under warranty. Had them inspected to keep an independent report in case dealer's views differed from mine. Did the detailed inspection myself. On the TJ, one of the transfer case seal was seeping, showed the dealer as part of negotiation. They promptly fixed it before my pick up and payment.

LeighP 05-04-2016 08:52 AM

I bought mine 2nd hand.....12 months old, but very low kilometers.... once I had a look underneath and determined it was completely stock and never been off road, I didn't worry too much after that as it still had 2 full years of warranty (about to run out). I just did a visual inspection for damage or missing stuff....got the dealership to supply new logbook and owners manual...which they (or someone) had lost. If the car was older and out of warranty, then I'd most probably get an NRMA inspection.

Nanook 05-04-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeighP (Post 1572966)
I bought mine 2nd hand.....12 months old, but very low kilometers.... once I had a look underneath and determined it was completely stock and never been off road, I didn't worry too much after that as it still had 2 full years of warranty (about to run out). I just did a visual inspection for damage or missing stuff....got the dealership to supply new logbook and owners manual...which they (or someone) had lost. If the car was older and out of warranty, then I'd most probably get an NRMA inspection.

Sounds pretty much identical to what I did when I bought my JK.

1rocky 05-04-2016 10:16 AM

thanks everyone. i am waiting for the delivery in about the end of july. hopefully. and dealer has offered 5 year warranty when serviced with them.