AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Remote/immobiliser troubles ZG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143850)

HUYAJEEP 08-05-2016 05:35 PM

Remote/immobiliser troubles ZG Grand Cherokee

Hi Gurus,
I have just picked up an old ZG Grand cherokee built Oct 96. It only came with one remote and no handbooks. I find it odd, that I have to press the unlock button a few times, before the engine will start. On the back of the remote it says press once to unlock drivers door, twice for passengers doors......BUT NOTHING ABOUT more pressing and cursing to have the motor start.

????????? Any suggestions

Anyhow, thanks for any assistance in this matter

cheers

nitrobrent 08-05-2016 07:15 PM

Top left on the instrument cluster, is there a light that says Security, when ignition is turned on?

HUYAJEEP 08-05-2016 08:28 PM

Will have a look and get back to you

shall check

HUYAJEEP 08-05-2016 08:32 PM

I have just checked and there are no lights on the top of the the cluster. This Grand cherokee was made October, 1996 and the lights are only on the bottom of the instruments, also there is no security light.

Thanks

bleetnblurt 08-05-2016 09:26 PM

does your light on the dash show ?
the fob is for open and close doors ,
did you check error codes ?
do you get a "click" sound when you try to start ?
do you have only one key ? if you have a spare (not the fob) try it ,
it is possible that the sentry ring might be at fault(or the wires)
it is also possible that the passenger side wiring loom has broken wires where it goes through the door to the body(or wires to PCM or the connectors)
read the error codes if any.
try the sentry ring (the ring around the key ignition.)

HUYAJEEP 08-05-2016 09:42 PM

Yes, I thought the remote was only for the doors........There are no error codes displaying apart from a 'bad coolant sensor,' and 'rear lamp fault,'......However, all seems fine with these areas.
No click sound when starting.
Yes, Only have one key and remote.
sentry ring........Not sure what to check for here ???
Anyhow, will further investigate tomorrow as I have just returned from Melbourne after buying it a few days ago. The previous owner had no idea and just said that is the way you start it........

Cheers

bleetnblurt 08-05-2016 09:51 PM

not green in colour this one is it ?
can not be too sure about the plastic ring that goes around the ING key hole that picks up the chip to start. ill check ...............not sure now I can not remember if it has a SKIS
if it does it might be the wiring or the ring itself.