AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Heavy shuddering on highway (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145122)

maverick730 06-08-2016 06:59 PM

Heavy shuddering on highway

Guys Please help!
I have a jeep GC 2011 diesel. Have issue on bad shuddering problem.
It seems happen on acceleration around 95km. I dont think I feel vibration through steering wheel and is more like some where near transmission. Whole car shakes very badly as it seems driving on unpaved road. When I pull over the car and restart the engine it drives as normal. Just been to the dealer and they changed the torque converter. It was ok for 3 days before it happen again today.
Has been wheel balanced and aligned lately.
Any idea? Please help!!

Clarky 06-08-2016 07:09 PM

How are the prop shaft CV's? In particular the front one, transfer case end.

Don't know about the WK2 itself but these are a common cause of problems in jeeps

maverick730 06-08-2016 07:20 PM

Thank you for your reply.

silverfox1111 06-08-2016 08:25 PM

Gday Mav
When i was at the jeep stealership service dept 2 weeks ago, got to talking about tsb's & the nong mentioned (out of the blue) that there was a tsb/update that related to a vibration in the driveline. I replied that i get a small vibration when i accelerate up hills but off course the update didn't apply to my car.
Might be worth checking out.
Silverfox

kx steve 06-08-2016 08:27 PM

If you turn it off then turn it back on it drive fine, it can't be cv or drive shafts.
Does it do it in one perticula gear if so manually change to a lower gear and see if it does it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

ao767brad 06-08-2016 08:31 PM

I had a slightly similar event in my 2013 Overland about 12 months ago, but mine occurred between 104-118km/hr. Very disconcerting, the dealer had the car for days and whilst replicatable they could not explain it. They did the front bearings (its a TSB on my model for identical symptoms), tried a new diff out of a car on showroom floor, it had been wheel aligned and balanced twice, eventually they tried to eliminate things & put a whole set of new rims and tyres on and it stopped?? Put each of my wheels back on individually until they found 1 on the rear passenger side was the cause, depute being stripped of tyre they could find no damage to the rim, it balanced fine, the tyre had no damage or flat spots & balanced perfectly (7000km old)yet it vibrated at that speed so bad it felt like gearbox shudder.
I had on rare occasions experienced what felt like gearbox shudder whilst accelerating up hill with the 5 speed box and was convinced it was gearbox related when it started.
This may have been a one off but hope the story makes you realise your not the only one scratching your head, Jeep had a hard time diagnosing mine.

maverick730 06-08-2016 08:55 PM

Thank you. It happens normally 5th gear but it still same when I shift down to 4th.