AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   What spare parts do you carry? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146896)

franco3d 20-12-2016 04:47 PM

What spare parts do you carry?

Have a jku diesel. Interested to know what spare parts I should carry? What has proved useful to you guys in the past?

MightyMouse 21-12-2016 07:33 AM

There's a CRD Facebook page..... so that might be a productive place to ask as well.

As with all social media you need to filter the responses.... every group has its keyboard "experts".

samft 21-12-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franco3d (Post 1599247)
Have a jku diesel. Interested to know what spare parts I should carry? What has proved useful to you guys in the past?

I find an extra wallet full of money helps a lot! :p

franco3d 21-12-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samft (Post 1599296)
I find an extra wallet full of money helps a lot! :p

Unless you camp out in the supercheapauto carpark. There's no places to spend it when your out in the country :)

samft 21-12-2016 11:34 AM

haha true,

I think the parts people carry would depend on what type of trip they're doing / distance / how remote

mike_nofx 21-12-2016 12:36 PM

Not specific to Wranglers, but any trip I take in any car I have I always carry a small toolbox.

Usually just have the basics, fuses, relays, screwdrivers, ring spanner set, hammer, some electrical wire, duct tape, tie wire, cable ties, pliers, leatherman etc Torx bits too.

I also keep the old fan belt in the car when I've done a belt replacement, and sometimes even the radiator hoses, though I have no spares for the Wrangler yet as I haven't changed them.

If its an Auto then a set of jumper leads may be a good idea too.

Recovery gear is always a must of course too.

You can get a bit carried away with how many spares and tools to bring, it would depend how far out you plan to go. Carry enough for a basic job, like a fan belt replacement, but you're not exactly going to rebuild the engine out there.

ARB87U 21-12-2016 01:29 PM

Serpentine belt
Couple of spark plugs
Upper and lower radiator hoses
Fuses, Relays and spare wire in various gauges
Soldering Iron (Portable Butane is best) and solder
TRE's & Uni's
Spare front axles
Stainless and plastic cable ties
Silicon rescue tape
Electrical tape
Electrical contact cleaner
WD40
Assortment of nuts, bolts and random crap that may come in handy
Tyre plugs and patches for the sidewall (if you take tyre pliers)
That epoxy metal putty (life saver!)
Basic tools
Jumper leads
Water
Rags / Workshop towel
Hand cleaner
Spare tyre (that thing that goes on the back)
Recovery gear (snatch, tree trunk, drag chain, d shackles, winch, winch blanket, hilift, gloves etc etc)
Blanket(s)
Fire starter / matches / lighter

Sure there is more for the list, just a quick off the top of the head list. For the hard parts though, you learn what you need based on what you have commonly broken and if you think about the design of the vehicle you can eliminate things you don't need (for example break a rear driveshaft, pull it and drive out on the front, break the front, pull it and drive out on the rear).