AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Turn AC Compressor into air compressor? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147230)

PureCaboose 17-01-2017 09:36 AM

Turn AC Compressor into air compressor?

Has anyone pulled out their AC and turned the compressor into an air compressor?

There is plenty of write ups on how to lubricate the compressor once the gas is removed, and I am thinking of pulling out all the under dash crap (the heat exchanger etc) as I don't use the air conditioner. I know it turns on with the demister, but other than that it never gets used.

In summer I run around with no top (mostly), a bikini top if might rain and in winter it is the bikini top and a rear window.

Going to get the gas removed by my local workshop properly, then do the rest myself. Will also fit in with my dedicated transmission cooler and I can removed the heat exchanger from between the inter-cooler and the radiator.

Anyone else done this, or though about doing this?

Greg

Nanook 17-01-2017 10:21 AM

Probably cheaper and easier to fit an ARB onboard air system which also won't affect your re-sale value (if that's important to you).

Not many people out there would buy a car without it anymore. I know I wouldn't these days.

MightyMouse 17-01-2017 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes and no..... I fitted an Endless Air ( an AC compressor professionally modified to be an air compressor ) to my 3.8

Had to machine up mounting brackets and pulley so it wasn't a small job but I was / am completely over unreliable electric compressors of ANY brand.

It leaves electric compressors absolutely for dead which makes a big difference when inflating big tires from low pressures.

Was it a lot of work - Yes, was it worth it - YES.

PureCaboose 19-01-2017 10:31 AM

I don't think mine has any resale value anymore :-)

I never use the AC, and it's a lot of weight to drag around for no reason. When you are trying to keep the Jeep legal weight, and carry all you need for a couple of people, tools and stuff for a day or two building trails then you need every kg you can get :-)

PureCaboose 19-01-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyMouse (Post 1601445)
Yes and no..... I fitted an Endless Air ( an AC compressor professionally modified to be an air compressor ) to my 3.8

Had to machine up mounting brackets and pulley so it wasn't a small job but I was / am completely over unreliable electric compressors of ANY brand.

It leaves electric compressors absolutely for dead which makes a big difference when inflating big tires from low pressures.

Was it a lot of work - Yes, was it worth it - YES.

Thanks, great feedback. I air up/down several times a day when we are running a few tours/trips and it gets tiring for the third time. Especially when it's raining and you have guests in the Jeep that leaks :-)

Paul Brennan 20-01-2017 08:58 AM

A vote here for the Endless Air as it pumps up tyres very quick. I had one on my 80 Series and it worked very well. The challenge with my 3.6 would be to find room under the bonnet. Not much room compared to the 3.8, so I have the ARB single compressor pump under there instead, and the dually mounted in the back.

Nanook 21-01-2017 06:14 AM

Those endless air units are a great piece of kit and well worth the money. I seriously looked into one of those but settled on an ARB unit in the back as it's easily removed.