AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   keyless entry service message (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148791)

Bullswinkle 25-05-2017 11:36 PM

keyless entry service message

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone has had issues with their passive key. I had a towbar fitted to my 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited today, the key fob still works in all functions and so does the start button, but not the keyless entry/lock function. I noticed a "keyless entry service " message when I started the car. the towbar fitter is going to look into it, but hopefully you guys might know an easy fix. Does this happen every time the battery is disconnected? any advice appreciated.

Dan2012JGCL 25-05-2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullswinkle (Post 1611902)
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone has had issues with their passive key. I had a towbar fitted to my 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited today, the key fob still works in all functions and so does the start button, but not the keyless entry/lock function. I noticed a "keyless entry service " message when I started the car. the towbar fitter is going to look into it, but hopefully you guys might know an easy fix. Does this happen every time the battery is disconnected? any advice appreciated.

My bet is they forgot to plug the little plug back in next to the tailgate latch under the plastic rear cover behind the lift up floor. It is easy to remove the plastic cover to get to it.

Either that or they damaged the wiring if they forgot to pull the plug out when removing the rear floor plastics to do the towbar job.

I had exactly the same symptoms on my JGC when I pulled the rear plastics out to run through trailer brake and Anderson plug wiring.

If that plug is not connected then the buttons on the keyfob work but the keyless entry and locking door from the external door handle button doesn't work presumably as the vehicle doesn't know if the tailgate is closed or not?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ea6c9f10d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bullswinkle 26-05-2017 09:34 AM

Thanks so much for that, was exactly the problem. connector had not been reconnected. saved a lot of headaches.

cherren 05-06-2017 10:05 PM

Clever man

markandallan 02-07-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan2012JGCL (Post 1611903)
My bet is they forgot to plug the little plug back in next to the tailgate latch under the plastic rear cover behind the lift up floor. It is easy to remove the plastic cover to get to it.

Either that or they damaged the wiring if they forgot to pull the plug out when removing the rear floor plastics to do the towbar job.

I had exactly the same symptoms on my JGC when I pulled the rear plastics out to run through trailer brake and Anderson plug wiring.

If that plug is not connected then the buttons on the keyfob work but the keyless entry and locking door from the external door handle button doesn't work presumably as the vehicle doesn't know if the tailgate is closed or not?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ea6c9f10d3.jpg

Hi
I have had the car at the auto electrician, they installed a caravan reverse camera could this cause the same issue. If so where is the plug exactly? I had a look at rear door catch but star screws are really in tight. How do you get to the plug please.

Thanks
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan2012JGCL 02-07-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markandallan (Post 1614331)
Hi
I have had the car at the auto electrician, they installed a caravan reverse camera could this cause the same issue. If so where is the plug exactly? I had a look at rear door catch but star screws are really in tight. How do you get to the plug please.

Thanks
Mark

Don't remove the latch catch.

Remove the plastic trim that runs across the rear over the latch. First remove the screws holding down the ("ahem") hold down points on the rear trim, pull the rubber tailgate seal moulding back off the trim, then pull the plastic trim piece off. You should then see the wiring to/from the plug near the latch catch.

markandallan 02-07-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan2012JGCL (Post 1614332)
Don't remove the latch catch.

Remove the plastic trim that runs across the rear over the latch. First remove the screws holding down the ("ahem") hold down points on the rear trim, pull the rubber tailgate seal moulding back off the trim, then pull the plastic trim piece off. You should then see the wiring to/from the plug near the latch catch.

Thank will have a look later this afternoon, if I can't see anything I will have to take it back to auto electrician.