AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   p0344 p0369 camshaft sensor issues/fixes (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149612)

Cal213 14-08-2017 01:07 PM

p0344 p0369 camshaft sensor issues/fixes

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, no doubt from my searches i have found a multitude of jk wranglers with this fault from the years of about 2012/13

I have been having this code for some time now, im out of warranty and was out of warranty once it shined it head (as usual)

After searching, playing with wires and relocating a ground wire after a dual battery install, i thought i had it fixed with the ground.

then i put my boot down one day and it showed again.

i decided to really give the cables a bit of a wiggle around the plug and found the car struggle a bit when idling.

Then i removed the plug and discovered one of the three weatherproof rubber plugs was slightly further out than the rest, so i pushed it back in and it went too easily, so pulled lightly and away it came as per the photos.

Has anyone had a repair done to this part of the loom?
I got a quote through jeep for the 68148103AA at $165
Full replacement loom $1240

as for doing the repair, im not too sure how to tackle it. I am awaiting a call back from the sparkie to see if he knows any better/different options.Attachment 76206

Attachment 76207

Attachment 76208

NTRubicon 14-08-2017 07:12 PM

For the sake of a bit of extra wiring (probably the existing wore is too short to reach properly now) and a new pin connector - It looks worth it for an auto sparky with a bit of nouse to sort out. The crimp connecter pin is maybe $5 worth, and the time for the auto sparky to fit it should be an hour tops, a slab of beer if they're doing a cash job.

Mine was a warranty job so I never got to see the price, only the time and hassle of not having a vehicle while it was diagnosed/repaired.

Cal213 14-08-2017 09:11 PM

I called my auto elec. but me being me, i had to fifdle with it. And the jeep being a jeep, the connector broke the red locking tab, then broke two of the four locking tabs that hold the wire pins in.

So i need to find a new plug.

Wreckers quoted 300 for a loom, but $70 for the plug (how much wiring they will leave me, i dont know)

jeep want $165 for plug and loom (same as one found on wells below)

Ive been browsing like crazy and came across http://www.wellsve.com/parts/

If you search jk wrangler (not that you have to, just for peoples interest) and find cam sensor, it shows part number 2036 as the plug and wiring kit.

Now, that same plug in their catalogue is also used in the door locks. So for a quick fix, im going to open a door up and check the plug. If its the same, ill see what one is the easiest to take out and go to the wrecker in hope of a cheap plug/loom.

Now i just have to wait til wednesday to check it :(

LeighP 15-08-2017 05:54 AM

Is this the classic "wiring too short" problem? Have you tried through Jeep for extended coverage on this, as I'm pretty sure its a known issue?

Cal213 15-08-2017 06:28 AM

theres such a thing? When i removed some tape, it did seem awfully tight.

Where would i start? I was thinking the other day i should call consumer affairs people and see where i stand. The cars only about 5 years old. I had it scanned a while back at bendigo jeep, but no record on file and no charge to me.

Either way ill need a new plug. So from my research, quiet a few cars use the same plug on the door locks, so im gunna go raid a few cheap wreckers and see what i can get.

MightyMouse 15-08-2017 09:36 AM

This is a known issue..... there is a short extension / replacement available from Jeep. ( no instructions provided... ) An auto sparky should be able to fit it very quickly once you have it if you don't want to DIY.

Cal213 15-08-2017 11:22 AM

i dont mind diy, as long as i can get parts easily and fairly cheap.

Im now glad i have a work ute and can take my time.

I found the manufacturer of the plugs and crimp connectors!!! god knows how, cant even remember what i searched, but i noticed a company within a page and recognized the logo from the switch, plus i was searching a wrong number due to poor markings on the plug.

Plug number is 1-1456426-5 and manufacturer is TE connectivity

some aus suppliers are element 14 and maybe RS components. This brings the plug and parts down to possibly a very acceptable price to risk a diy. Or supply the parts to a sparkie and brings the cost well down from jeeps quote of $165.

Hopefully this becomes a great assistance to someone, hence why i am writing loooong ass posts