AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   96 XJ Speedo jumping (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150711)

Wally3218 30-11-2017 07:09 AM

96 XJ Speedo jumping

While driving on the highway today my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 litre
my speedo needle started jumping back and forth then as I slowed down it stuck around the 40km mark until I started to speed up again.
Whats causing this and how do I fix it.
Thanks

Classic Boy 30-11-2017 11:51 AM

I would assume at this vintage the XJ is using a electronic speedo not a mechanical one. On that assumption it is likely the actual instrument movement is faulty, likely wear in the spindle bearing inside the speedometer movement. I wouldn't imagine it would be hard to find or terribly expensive the find a good secondhand speedometer cluster for a XJ, the lower the milage the better for low wear.

awg 30-11-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally3218 (Post 1624453)
While driving on the highway today my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 litre
my speedo needle started jumping back and forth then as I slowed down it stuck around the 40km mark until I started to speed up again.
Whats causing this and how do I fix it.
Thanks

both mine do this, check the archives, the fix is apparently to remove speedo and fix loose wire/ poor connection

short-term fix, rap the speedo face, seems to work

maybe some sort of light lube around the needle/bearing area, if possible, it seems more like "sticking" to me

or get a "heads up" GPS.... projects speedo on windscreen.. about $50

layback40 01-12-2017 05:11 AM

When its stuck on 40, if you tap the instrument face, does it drop to zero?

Wally3218 01-12-2017 06:00 AM

Well a fist slam on top of the dash has stopped in from misbehaving and it's working alright for the moment for how long I will just have to wait and see.
I already have a gps so I can use that if needed.
Thanks for your replies.

awg 01-12-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layback40 (Post 1624534)
When its stuck on 40, if you tap the instrument face, does it drop to zero?

yes, it does... well sort of, it will either stick on 0 or 40, and usually spring to life, if not, rapping it will either jump to ok, or 0, then jump up to ok

are you aware of a known fix pls ?

only started recently on the black DD, the white one has the same symptom

layback40 01-12-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awg (Post 1624553)
yes, it does... well sort of, it will either stick on 0 or 40, and usually spring to life, if not, rapping it will either jump to ok, or 0, then jump up to ok

are you aware of a known fix pls ?

only started recently on the black DD, the white one has the same symptom

You will see on the comments there are 2 suggestions,
1/ a bad electrical connection some place
2/ the needle is sticking.

From what you have just said, it sounds like a sticking needle.
A pain to pull the instrument out & to bits, but it probably has dust in the bush & the lube has dried out.
A quick fix is to very carefully put some (less than a drop) of oil on the bushes, ATF is good or you could use a very thin molli containing oil. Graphite powder may also work but it can be messy.
Work the needle back & forth around where it was sticking until it frees up.
Good Luck ! its like being a watch repairer.