AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Good vibrations.... (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151800)

HamishW96 12-01-2018 04:35 PM

Good vibrations....
 

Hey all, as per title my XJ has some lovely vibes. Theyre pretty constant, but you can feel it through your ass badly at 75 and 100kmh. Would I be looking @ dshafts and unis? Also my wheels got balanced and aligned the other day.... any recommendations? all stock, new gearbox mount too (do I need to loosen this?)

HamishW96 12-01-2018 06:44 PM

Should I jack it up, chuck it in drive on stands and get it up to speed to see if it vibrates without the front driveshaft in the way ? Cheers .

LuluBelle 12-01-2018 08:35 PM

Hamish could be a number of things might be the uni at the diff if the back end is sloppy could be your rubbers hard to say check for play in the uni joint xjs are getting on in yrs rubbers sensors and bits n pieces need replacing
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

HamishW96 14-01-2018 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuluBelle (Post 1627410)
Hamish could be a number of things might be the uni at the diff if the back end is sloppy could be your rubbers hard to say check for play in the uni joint xjs are getting on in yrs rubbers sensors and bits n pieces need replacing
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

I had the rear driveshaft out not long ago, the uni felt good. Can the front one cause similar issues?

Also I have messed with the gearbox mount. Does anyone know the distance between the TC and their bash plate?

Also as my diff is shit, could it be a worn pinion causing bad vibration?

Thanks.

awg 14-01-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamishW96 (Post 1627458)
I had the rear driveshaft out not long ago, the uni felt good. Can the front one cause similar issues?

Also I have messed with the gearbox mount. Does anyone know the distance between the TC and their bash plate?

Also as my diff is shit, could it be a worn pinion causing bad vibration?

Thanks.

did you mark & keep rear driveshaft in same orientation during R&R ?

apparently the trans space is ~1", mine is a bit less from age, needs replacing

I doubt a worn pinion bearing would cause vibration unless it was terminal, is there excessive freeplay...like 1/4"?..would be awful noisy

mine vibrates a bit at ~90-95kmph (it needs a wheel alignment)

the trackbar joints can be worn

I would start with the basics things

HamishW96 24-01-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awg (Post 1627492)
did you mark & keep rear driveshaft in same orientation during R&R ?

apparently the trans space is ~1", mine is a bit less from age, needs replacing

I doubt a worn pinion bearing would cause vibration unless it was terminal, is there excessive freeplay...like 1/4"?..would be awful noisy

mine vibrates a bit at ~90-95kmph (it needs a wheel alignment)

the trackbar joints can be worn

I would start with the basics things

There's a lot of noise from the diff.
I had it up in the air the other day running in drive, the rear wheels looked to be not rotating on a solid axis. They looked like they were moving slightly off centre like both axles are bent. Unsure if this is the case... Is this normal?

All my driveshafts feel okay, didn't spend too much time down there as it burnt the shit outta my arm and took a heap of skin off :(

How do I check the suspension components?

Also I didn't line up the DS but can only spin one more rotation. I think it was correct as I just removed the uni joint on the diff end (the 4 bolts) but didn't pull it out of the DS.

HamishW96 26-01-2018 06:23 PM

I'm pretty sure it's the diff. I think the axles are bent.

jaffazoom 31-01-2018 09:07 PM

Diff
 

Hey mate
Did you grab a wheel whilst it was up in the air to check for play in the wheel bearings. If they have gotten bad enough they will quickly wear through the thin hardening on the axle into the softer metal and you will possible get that appearance of the axle being bent.


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

AJOR 2002 - 2018 AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM. All corporate trademarked names and logos are property of their respective owners. Ausjeepoffroad is in no way associated with DaimlerChrysler Corporation or Fiat Jeep.
www.midlifemate.com wayalife.com jkwrangler.com ausjeepforum.com jk-forum.com canadianjeepoffroad.com cryptoprofitcalculator.net

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=