AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Smokin Joe (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152769)

gusthewonderslug 02-05-2018 11:07 PM

Smokin Joe

If you have been following my Jk crd Journey
I Purchased a new 2010 crd auto unlimited
I have deleted the cat installed a 3”dump pipe plus have a provent.
Removed the rear muffler, had a green diesel tune installed.
All was good until 140,000km then I dropped a big end bearing while 600km into a long trip, my motor had been well serviced and had run with castrol synthetic all it’s life,
I had it rebuilt with some headwork and a mod done to the oil pump to increase its relief point, less than 10,000km later it snapped a crank, all while running no tune.
Mechanic rebuilt the engine under warranty (thank god) 1st thing I noticed was it was smoking like a steam engine, while this happened someone stole my geedee reflash tool so I couldn’t install the tune. I went to our local Bosch injection expert to verify my injectors were ok, everything checked out ok, however they did find my injectors were not in the right spots, Bosch sent the latest tune, still smoking! Contacted green diesel they advised how to disable the egr, so I followed thier instruction, now no smoke. I will now buy another reflash unit from gd and reinstall the reflash.
Questions I have is why did my engine drop a bearing, no idea other than my oil and filters were done every 7-10,000km. I suggest oil is done every 5000km
Crank snapped because crank grinder did a poor job and didn’t have the crank crack tested prior to installation and crank was poorly ground.
My smoking issue appears to be the egr is adding to much inert gas into the air charge causing the engine to run rich and smoke.
I hope this makes sense to those prepared to read it until the end.
PS: I don’t understand the US trend of rolling coal!

samft 03-05-2018 09:06 PM

I have a theory that all the big ends issues occur on CRD Autos running 545RFE trans (07-10), stock diff ratios and larger tyres....until someone proves me wrong?

Clarky 03-05-2018 09:34 PM

How is the compression blow by? From what I read it ran fine for 10,000km and only smoked after the second rebuild. A pressurised sump could explain excessive oil out of the EGR.

gusthewonderslug 03-05-2018 09:58 PM

Sam
Ok you nailed my set up, the question is why
Is it heat build up from the trans causing oil degradation or crank flex?

gusthewonderslug 03-05-2018 10:00 PM

Clarky
I haven’t noticed any excessive blow by
Catch can is empty I also tried disconnected the breather pipe to see if this had any affect, the answer is no it didnt.

Turismo07 04-05-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samft (Post 1633105)
I have a theory that all the big ends issues occur on CRD Autos running 545RFE trans (07-10), stock diff ratios and larger tyres....until someone proves me wrong?

Please explain your theory.

Turismo07 04-05-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusthewonderslug (Post 1633054)
Questions I have is why did my engine drop a bearing, no idea other than my oil and filters were done every 7-10,000km.

Your story is a very sad one unfortunately. Have seen your journey on the JK CRD facebook group too. Looked after your Jeep from new and then rewarded with an engine failure :(.

The only thing I can think is that you were unlucky, or your engine was built at 4:30pm on a Fri arvo (still unlucky I guess). Sorry that is not very helpful.