AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   NSS Fix! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153089)

JeepinBurford 10-06-2018 02:06 PM

NSS Fix!

Yay! I did it! I was having issues with my reverse lights not working. I tried replacing the fuse in slot 11 in the dash fuse box and nada. All the research I did kept leading me back to the NSS. This looked like a meticulous, potentially disaster filled job. I was not confident. Then, I don't know, yesterday I just thought stuff it. Most of the tuts I watched had the NSS removed entirely with the ties snipped and the harness detached. That seemed like a lot of hard work. I decided to do the whole job under the truck. I just jacked it a little and slid underneath. Took a bit of looking around but i found the unit attached to the transmission on the DS. After carefully getting the unit off (it was really on there) I managed to open it up, clean up the gunk, sand the contacts, apply the dielectric grease and reattach it all under the car. Started first time and boom - reverse lights working!

FRANKIDOWNUNDER 10-06-2018 02:41 PM

Hi, Just another typical Jeep problem, seems like you lucked out first go. I find most of mine due to poor contact with the connectors, just close up the female side of the connector a little, a quick spray of contact cleaner then back together with a little dilectric grease around the plug seal and usually problem solved. learnt this after changing three TPS units to cure bad acceleration only to find the problem was in the plug, contacts needed closing up.

Denis.

JeepinBurford 11-06-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRANKIDOWNUNDER (Post 1635117)
Hi, Just another typical Jeep problem, seems like you lucked out first go. I find most of mine due to poor contact with the connectors, just close up the female side of the connector a little, a quick spray of contact cleaner then back together with a little dilectric grease around the plug seal and usually problem solved. learnt this after changing three TPS units to cure bad acceleration only to find the problem was in the plug, contacts needed closing up.

Denis.

so many electrical gremlins in these old birds. I picked my XJ up for a song and it runs really well with 380 on the dial but OMG, so many electrical issues. Just this arvo I opened up the tail lights and found the previous owner had simply piggy-backed the wiring for the brakes, reverse and indicator lights for the trailer straight off the bulb wires. Sooooo dodgy. Oh well, just snipped them all off and rewired them back together. I don't need a trailer. Im slowly going through and finding lots of little things to do. But otherwise, great car!

awg 11-06-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepinBurford (Post 1635182)
Just this arvo I opened up the tail lights and found the previous owner had simply piggy-backed the wiring for the brakes, reverse and indicator lights for the trailer straight off the bulb wires. Sooooo dodgy. Oh well, just snipped them all off and rewired them back together. I don't need a trailer.

hey wait on!..not dodgy, standard practice to overcome factory crap wiring

how else was I gonna make my trailer lights work!

JeepinBurford 12-06-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awg (Post 1635184)
hey wait on!..not dodgy, standard practice to overcome factory crap wiring

how else was I gonna make my trailer lights work!

haha, I'm sure your work is top notch! Im not saying the theory isn't sound, just the execution in this case wasnt great. haven't had any issue since I reconnected and sealed the original wiring.

bonza 14-06-2018 04:58 PM

took me awhile to work out what is a "NSS"

LuluBelle 14-06-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonza (Post 1635308)
took me awhile to work out what is a "NSS"

i still don't know ? but it might have something to do with your tail lights ?
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)