AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   RockAuto and the Aus GST payments (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153583)

bjm 09-08-2018 12:28 PM

RockAuto and the Aus GST payments

If I import parts(radiator hoses.) from RockAuto in USA where is the GST paid and how.?

robertodonnell 09-08-2018 12:32 PM

I don't know anyone who has tested this yet. Naturally ebay have taken the route of adding gst to all sales, but I don't think rockauto will do the same. I know that the post office isn't acting as a tax collector, the local lpo licensee told me as much.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Windex 09-08-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjm (Post 1637900)
If I import parts(radiator hoses.) from RockAuto in USA where is the GST paid and how.?

I recently did a order and didn't have anything added or any holdups on the AU side. They had a line in the invoice that stated "Carrier may collect duty and tax upon delivery" I ordered mid-July with a total price of ~350USD.

bjm 09-08-2018 01:44 PM

An hour on the phone with the tax department was as useful as tits on a bull !!If an overseas company is doing over $75.000 sales in Aust a year it should get an ATO tax number and collect GST and show it on the invoice.I can see overseas companies getting excited about being gst tax collectors for the Aust govt!! However the gentleman I spoke to said that currently the tax office is turning a blind eye to any imported goods for personal under a thousand dollars.Even though the law came in on July 1st 18. (Customs do not want a bar of it) He admitted that the cost of checking every parcel would not be cost effective,at the moment.!!Poor Gerry Harvey

robertodonnell 09-08-2018 01:50 PM

Poor Gerry indeed!

I have a mate in federal politics who reckons it's a waste of time too. He lobbied the senate for a delay in the introduction.

Seems there's not one person I know who thinks it's a good idea.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

HamishW96 09-08-2018 04:13 PM

Had no tax added to my order. Did take bloody ages to get here though. Im talking 30 days.

jaffazoom 09-08-2018 04:44 PM

Gst

Bought some stuff on Ebay from Greece, Latvia and I think Uk with no GST added, You can't make out much from ATO site about paying the GST here on the goods.
As said Customs don't want to collect GST so the only way I see them enforcing this is by getting a customs broker involved which will blow out the cost on smaller valued items.
Absolute JOKE.

And Gerry wasn't crying unfair playing field when he sent a lot of small business to the wall because he could get better margins buying bulk.

Rant over.