AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Exhaust manifold bolt replacement (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153611)

Windex 12-08-2018 07:52 PM

Exhaust manifold bolt replacement

Hi team, sorry for the multiple threads but I've got a few things on the go with the Jeep at the moment.

I've discovered that I've got at least 2 bolts each side which have sheered off :( From reading on the US sites it seems that this is rather common on the Hemi's with both the Jeep's and Dodges suffering from it. I'm now on the hunt for two exhaust manifolds and a set of bolts+studs for each side. Has anyone sourced these locally? Or would it be best to try and get from the US (first time I havent been able to find a part on RockAuto).

slippery 15-08-2018 07:57 PM

Summit Racing is your friend. They have the studs and gaskets

Postage can be a killer tho so I ordered through Jeepkraft and they included my order in their large sea container order from summit and postage worked out to be around $15

Why do you want new manifolds? Do u think theyre warped? If so just machine them

slippery 15-08-2018 08:00 PM

Are you thinking of doing this job yourself?

Im even thinking these days that it would be easier to remove the cylinder heads to replace the studs and gaskets than try for hours to fiddly undo bolts you cant feel or so, let alone spin a spanner around

I had a go through the wheel arch and could barely fit my fist through the gap

Windex 20-08-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slippery (Post 1638203)
Summit Racing is your friend. They have the studs and gaskets

Postage can be a killer tho so I ordered through Jeepkraft and they included my order in their large sea container order from summit and postage worked out to be around $15

Why do you want new manifolds? Do u think theyre warped? If so just machine them

I meant gaskets :) I'll get them skimmed to ensure they aren't warped but wouldn't replace them unless needed.
I was planning on undertaking it myself, I can take as much time as I want as I don't use the car during the week so can chip away at it, I feel that removing the heads might be a bit too big of a ask for me but will definitely have a closer look and remove the arches to see what I'm in for first.

ren0vator 20-08-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windex (Post 1638439)
I meant gaskets :) I'll get them skimmed to ensure they aren't warped but wouldn't replace them unless needed.

Great idea :cool:
PITA job and you should be fine
Just hope the studs aren't broken level with the head

Windex 21-08-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ren0vator (Post 1638448)
Great idea :cool:
PITA job and you should be fine
Just hope the studs aren't broken level with the head

The ones that I can see appear to have broken off at the level of the manifold so hopefully I'll be able to get something onto them, who knows what I'll find as I get deeper into it though :)

slippery 29-08-2018 11:49 PM

if u find any tricks, let me know :)